Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2008 highlander with 101K miles. At around 40-45mph (around 2000 rpm) I start feeling a vibration/wobble. The vibration/wobble seems to only occur if I'm on the gas. When I let off the gas and coast, it mostly goes away. The bushings in the control arm seemed to be split, so I replaced the control arms. I have also replaced the torque strut for a worn bushing as well. This past week I had 4 new tires put on because the old ones were almost worn out. I watched them get spin balanced, so I am inclined to think that it isn't a tire/wheel problem. There doesn't seem to be any looseness in the cv axles or tie struts. I don't hear any grinding or other strange noises. I've run out of ideas of things to check.

·
8,516 Posts
When my CV joints were going out in my Camry it would pop in tight turns. My final diagnosis was a slow figure 8 in a parking lot. I replaced them and no trouble since. I assume it's 4 wheel drive? I don't know enough about the bits of it to say but I know lots of guys on here do. I have read a lot of times they look fine and are not. I would probably replace the bits you haven't yet if it's a big enough issue.

·
Registered
07 Tacoma 4X4
389 Posts
I'm thinking either a bad ball joint, or wheel bearing. Take it to a wheel alignment shop; some may offer a free inspection.

·
AvConsult
3,673 Posts
Agree with SweeenyP; at 101k, bad inner CV joints or worn tie rod ends or worn lower ball joints seem unlikely, road/curb/pothole trauma can cause them to fail early. I would be thorough with inspection.

It's possible it could be a traumatized upper strut mount; bearing + rubber isolator, which would allow wheel movement. Moving the car back and forth in park would expose excess upper strut movement.

A worn wheel bearing can also cause this, but that is also premature for 101k. If the wheel bearing were damaged, it would grind/whir/whine, especially when turning left or right.

While some recently commented that 2nd Gen have mid-life engine mount failures, other than a deteriorated dogbone, I think the forum's general experience thus far is that the engine mounts are long lived. Hopefully folks post specifics, if that is NOT true.

Reactions: becks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ball joints got changed with the control arms. It is a 2nd vehicle. I have the stupid intermediate steering shafts pop, but I get wobble, vibration during turn, so that's unlikely. I don't get cv joint noise or wheel bearing grind, but cv is easier to change. I'll check strut mount

1 - 7 of 7 Posts