Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 08 RAV4 sport and recently the steering wheel has been giving me some trouble. When it is quickly turned in either directions, the wheel locks for a few seconds and then it becomes really stiff to turn in the same direction. The stereo also shuts off when it locks and comes back on when the wheel is back to normal. It becomes normal again when it is turned in the opposite direction. Can someone help me, what seems to be the issue? I also have a video that might help. Thanks!

·
Registered
'08 RAV4 Limited
532 Posts
How old is the battery? I ask because the power steering is electric. A less than perfect battery can cause all kinds of problems, especially with the V-6.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Was the engine running while you were making the video? Does the problem happen all of the time? The power steering takes a large amount of electricity to operate and if the engine isn't running and the battery has to supply all of the electrical power and isn't in good condition that can cause problems. Turning the steering wheel that quickly even with the engine running at low rpms also will tax the electrical system. But from a safety perspective having the steering lock if the vehicle is traveling would seem to be potentially dangerous, for example if the engine were to stop running under that condition.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts