Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there! great forum!

I have a Toyota Corolla 2005, and I have noticed than in cold mornings (with the car being off all night) when I start the car the steering wheel is very soft and easy to move. After driving for a while and when the engine finally reaches its normal operating temperature the steering wheel gets a little more hard to move (just a little, I dont have any problem steering left or right).

I have never changed the steering fluid, my car has 47,000 miles on it.

any ideas, do I have a problem? or maybe is a normal behavior?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks your your answer CorollaCharlie.

I checked the color, its between brown and pink, something like the picture bellow. Also I check all fluids levels every week and the Power Steering fluild is at exactly the same level since I bought the car (used). a few months ago. Dont know if the previous owner ever replaced the Steering fluid. Something that called my atention was that the Fluid level is over the hot max mark in the reservoir. Maybe there is too much?

·
Premium Member
4,270 Posts
That's a normal color. Usually will be the same color as transmission fluid, but I have seen darker.

My car is sometimes off on levels. It shouldn't be too far over the hot line if your engine has been running for a while and you've been using the system.

Does it make any abnormal sounds?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's a normal color. Usually will be the same color as transmission fluid, but I have seen darker.

My car is sometimes off on levels. It shouldn't be too far over the hot line if your engine has been running for a while and you've been using the system.

Does it make any abnormal sounds?

Nope, no sounds at all. Just the difference in the "sensation" when using the steering wheel. Lets say...it gets a 25% harder to turn the steering wheel when the engine (or maybe the steering fluid?) gets hot enough. Tomorrow I'm going to try to remove the excess of fluid and drive the car for a while to see if thats the problem.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,270 Posts
It could also be your belt is worn, and it's has stretched to the point where the pump isn't turning as much when the belt is going around that pulley.

When rubber, or anything for that matter, is exposed to heat, it tends to expand.

Push down on your belt before you drive it, engine cold. You should then drive your car for the amount if time it takes for the steering to become difficult, then, if it isn't too hot, push down on your belt to see how much give it has. Compare how much give it had between those times.

Before I bought my splash shields, I would drive over puddles and get water on my belt, causing it to slip around the pulleys, and I'd have a complete loss of power steering paired with the battery light.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
UPDATE:

It was the accesory belt. I replaced the belt yesterday and the old one was kinda old and worn. With the new belt the "feel" of the steering wheel is consistent and remains the same with cold or hot engine.

Thanks!

·
Registered
Toyota corolla
417 Posts
UPDATE:

It was the accesory belt. I replaced the belt yesterday and the old one was kinda old and worn. With the new belt the "feel" of the steering wheel is consistent and remains the same with cold or hot engine.

Thanks!
Thats good.
I am guessing once the belt warmed up it got looser. And was stiff when it is cold, which was why it worked better when cold.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts