Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I own a base model '02 highlander and was thinking of installing a video capable head unit. The problem is the HU is situated a little low and not ideal for looking at the screen (either to look at the backup cam or using it for NAV.

A single din with a motorized screen would probably easily solve the problem but it blocks the controls to the A/C. Sure it's easy enough to sneak your fingers around the dials to manipulate them but it's not really a clean look.

So, my question - has anyone modded their console to move the stereo up and the A/C controls down?

I would think this should be feasible as I've seen HLs with the Nav screen option on top of the A/C controls. Some obvious differences:
1. Digital A/C controls (do they have separate electronics?)
2. Rear clearance (I've seen a nav screen removal video and the screen does not have much depth to it as the HU).

Thoughts? Ideas? Fuggedaboutid?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was thinking of doing the same thing with mine but wonder what would be the best way on doing it. I have the 2006 HH with the wood grain. I dont care if mine is not wood grain where the radio is as long it looks nice. I was thinking of buying a used center piece off ebay or a junk yard fill the all stereo and AC holes up with reinforced bondo and sand it smooth cut new holes to fit the new stereo and AC in the new location. I question would this bondo smell during a hot summer with the windows closed? Have the new center piece wrapped in a some design carbon fiber vinyl wrap or other design vinyl wrap to make it look good. The center parts are easy to pop off. If it does not look good you still have your original plate you can put back in place. This is the only thing I came up with. I am sure others on the board are more creative an I hope some one else would chime in.

Dan

1 - 2 of 2 Posts