Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 Highlander, it has an aftermarket stereo, which dims when the headlights are turned on.

I want to change it so it matches the climate control panel and standard display panel above the stereo. They dim only if headlights are on, AND the dimmer dial is clicked down away from full.
The illumination wire from stereo is easily identifiable, and currently receives 12v when headlights are on.

I conducted voltage test to try and identify the signal wire into the upper display from the dimmer switch, but didnt get anything conclusive.

Is anyone familiar with the systems and able to give any pointers to help achieve this?

Attachments

·
6,429 Posts
Dimming is typically done on the Ground side and it's a PWM signal.
So while the aftermarket deck may have a wire that goes high when it's suposed to dim I doubt it follows the PWM signal like it needs to to stay in sync with the dash

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I have limited electric knowledge, but though it would be something like that.
Is it possible to connect a relay that would follow the pwm signal? I dont need it to be variable, just operate off the switch from the dimmer dial.

·
6,429 Posts
No a relay would not be able to switch fast enough and would likely wear out in a few hours if it tried.
PWM signals switch 10,000x per second. That's not possible mechanically speaking.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts