Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Camry
6,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The stereo in my dad's car is pretty sad. It's some cheap CD Head Unit ($50 IIRC) with 2 x 4inch speakers on the lower dash pointing at your knees. The sound from it is pretty bad. There's hardly any bass, and if there is, it just sound muddled. The trebbles are hardly there either.

I have the factory double-size CD/Tape/Radio HU from a 2000 Camry since I replaced it with an aftermarket HU. I will soon also have the stock front speakers (6.5 or 6.75 with tweeter) removed and replaced with aftermarket speakers. The rear speakers (6x9) replaced, but I broke the speaker (something in the trunk punctured one of the speakers) and threw them away.

Can I put the Camry HU and 6.5" speakers and tweeters fit in the Corolla? I want to put the HU in the lower dash opening, and put the 6.5 on the rear deck. I'm not sure with what to do with the tweeters though. I'm also a little curious what the sound will be like. Or should I place the 6.5" speakers in the front doors or something and do away with the 4"... There's no opening in the front door for speakers. I'm not wanting to do a lot of work either.

·
Registered
29 Posts
my 88 corolla sr5 2 door had the same thing. 2 shitty 4' speakers down by your knees on the lower dash and no rears. I just finished putting in my alpine HU (3 years old and cheap, but decent), my alpine 6.5' rounds in the back (there no speakers back there, but some round holes cut in the metal below the window, which i expanded and screwed the rounds to from below. The only problem is that the carpet/chip board stuff is in the way and muffles it a bit.), and also some 6x9 alpines in boxes sitting in the trunk hooked up to my friends sony xplod (i know it's shitty) amp, tuned for bass.

It sounds decent overall.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I am in the same situation with my '90 Corolla. I just put in a bitchin' Pioneer DEH-P6600, and almost immediately blew a couple of my factory speakers. I plan to put 6"x9" three-ways in the rear deck, and put either 5 1/4" or 6 1/2" three-ways in the front doors. While it's true that the speakers would now be pointing at your ankles instead of your knees if installed in the doors, the volume of sound produced by the larger and more powerful speakers and the fact that they are enclosed better more than compensates for their position. Don't bother with the 4"s in the dash...they will sound crappy no matter what you do. I wouldn't mess around with trying to splice a factory '00 Camry deck in either. If you want decent sound, you HAVE to go aftermarket. The fact that you took that deck OUT of the Camry illustrates this. I would not be surprised if this setup sounded worse than what is in there now.

The only problem with putting speakers in the front doors is clearing the window glass. The '88-'92 Corollas have pretty thin doors. If the speakers are installed too high in the doors and/or the speakers themselves are too deep, then the window glass will hit them when you roll the windows down. The best advice I can give is to try and find speakers that are as thin as possible, and mount them as low and as far forward in the door as you can. This should prevent any clearance problems, as near as I can figure. And rewire the speakers with good wire, don't use the crappy factory harness. The factory decks usually don't put out more than about 8 watts of power, and that is about all the factory speaker wiring can handle. On the other hand, most aftermarket decks peak out at over 50 watts. I''ll let you know how mine turns out! :thumbup::cool: Regards, Aaron

·
Registered
toyota corolla
142 Posts
remove the back panel and cut two 6x9 holes right in between those 6.5 but "becareful" not to cut any wires and then use the two front for your tweets ...works for me and sounds great!:thumbup:

·
Registered
Camry
6,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
deramg: Your car seems to be same as my dads. It's a 1990 Corolla sedan. If you look on the lower dash, there should be some little openings that look like a speaker grill. You can take apart the dash and put speakers in there.

bluedemon: I'm not sure what you're saying. I don't have any 6x9s. I have two 6.5s with tweeters and the 4" speakers currently in the Corolla.

Well...The system in my '00 Camry wasn't a bad sounding system for stock system. It's way better than what's in the Corolla now. I'm wanting to know if the stock head unit from my Camry (double din size) will fit in the lower opening in the dash that right below the heater control. Using the stock HU will save me some cash since no one else is using it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.