Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Noobie With A Dream
1993 MR2 Turbo
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad just bought a '91 MR2 Turbo. I plan on buying it off of him soon and have started making my list of things needing to be upgraded/improved. I noticed that every speaker in the car is either not working, or is ripped and sounds horrible if turned up past a wisper. I was wondering if anybody has any suggestions as to what to upgrade to. I would like to keep the space for the t-tops behind the seat, and maybe replace the sub under the drivers seat. Also, I will need to replace the entire head unit. Any suggestions would be great!

·
400whp club here I come!!
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
I dunno about where the t-tops go.... cause i have a hardtop.... but... i have a 6x9 behind each seat... and some speakers in the doors... no subwoofer... and it sounds great. The cab is very small... so you don't need much for sound.

·
Noobie With A Dream
1993 MR2 Turbo
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, the t-tops get strapped in right behind the seat. I'm also wondering what size speakers will fit in the side of the car just behind each seat. I realize that the cabin is really small, so that is why i think i can get away with just replacing the factory 8" sub behind the drivers seat for bass and maybe increase the size of the 4 other speakers a little bit.

·
Premium Member
5,005 Posts
there are boxes out there that are specifically designed to fit in behind the seats on the lil ledge.....u can also store ur t roofs too....they come in 8" and 10" cut outs.....

·
Noobie With A Dream
1993 MR2 Turbo
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so you can have the sub in a box behind the seat, and put your t-tops back there too? I did not realize that. Do you know where i can find these boxes?

·
Premium Member
5,005 Posts
try looking on www.xcars.com u may be able to find a used set for sale.....or u'll have to look on the main board....i believe the person that makes them goes by the user name of mr2much or something like that....check in our buy/sell forum...theres a TNer that can custom build u any sized box u want if u give him the dimensions u need.....

·
Noobie With A Dream
1993 MR2 Turbo
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
great! thanks for you help!

·
Registered
21 Posts
one thing i did is i put a 10 behind each seat and made a custom fiber glass holder for th t-tops in the trunk the slide right in so if you go that rout i did a 10" behind each seat replace the door speakers, replaced the little side speakers in the rear i modified them to take 4" and place 4 tweets in, i put the amps in the front bay 3 1000 watt and a 2 farad cap

·
Noobie With A Dream
1993 MR2 Turbo
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
how much modification did it take to get 4" speakers in the rear? Also, where in the front bay did you put the amps?

·
Registered
21 Posts
i removed the spare tier in the front and made a custom fiber glass bay that bolted in its place with a full cover lid w/ a plexi glass window the 4" didnt involve alot of modificationjust made a custom braket for it i can make a couple more for you, the front amp bay i made is a little more involved but can replicate it for diferent aplications depending on what you plan on doing but the both bolt right in and the good thing about fiberglass is you can color match it to the car

·
Noobie With A Dream
1993 MR2 Turbo
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well, the car's white so that would really easy. I'll make sure to give you a holla when i finally decide on what i wanna do. If you have any more ideas feel free to throw em my way!

·
Noobie With A Dream
1993 MR2 Turbo
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
very nice....those look great! I'm wondering if i might be able to do something similar myself though. It doesn't seem to be that difficult of a design so maybe i'll just fool around with making a box myself and saving some money that i can put into a better system.

·
400whp club here I come!!
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
Ya... that guy makes them for t-tops and hardtops... and you can get like a 5% discount if you are a clubmr2 member. ;)

Always good to support other 2 owners when you can.

Truthfully...... if you put more than 1 - 10" back there.... you are gonna have some bloddy ears :). The cars are so small.... you really don't wanna pack too much into the tiny cab. But... if you do want the bass... I wouldn't go any larger than 1 - 10.

·
Noobie With A Dream
1993 MR2 Turbo
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i was thinking the same thing. i like bass, but i'd also like to be able to hear past 30. i just want something that's going to give me a good feeling of my music, which i agree is going to be a single 10" behind the drivers seat. Now, another thing i'm having trouble deciding on is a replacement head unit. i can't decide on whether i want a dual din and have a tape player i'm not going to use, or try and get a deck and then maybe a slot under it for gauges/switches/junk, or maybe even a monitor. Any ideas?

·
Noobie With A Dream
1993 MR2 Turbo
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, that's what i was thinking. but i already have the boost gauge in my A pillar gauge pod. I've seen a neat little carbon fiber switch board that fits in those second din slots. i could use it for lights, or maybe even something better in the future ;)

·
Registered
21 Posts
if you are looking at monitors you can get the clarion dvx head unit its all in one dvd,mp3,cd,am,fm with a 7" touch screen monitor and like you said use the second din for switches or guages you can find that head unit for about 1k

·
Noobie With A Dream
1993 MR2 Turbo
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yeah...i like that idea too. the touch screen idea is pretty sweet! although...i'm sure i could use 1k for some much more enjoyable engine mods, so i'm gonna try and keep myself under control when doing the system.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts