Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! I recently purchased a car stereo with sd card reader/usb ports and i need a little help hooking it up, it has 4 wires coming out from the rear of the unit..

2 positive speaker wires (left and right)
1 ground
1 Power

On the diagram it shows to connect the positive speaker wires to the positive from the back, power to power what confuses me is the negative speaker wires are hooked up to the ground then hooked up to the chassis, do i really hook it up that way? It has only 1 ground wire so the negatives go there and wire goes directly to chassis. Any info please? thanks!

·
Registered
467 Posts
Hi guys! I recently purchased a car stereo with sd card reader/usb ports and i need a little help hooking it up, it has 4 wires coming out from the rear of the unit..

2 positive speaker wires (left and right)
1 ground
1 Power

On the diagram it shows to connect the positive speaker wires to the positive from the back, power to power what confuses me is the negative speaker wires are hooked up to the ground then hooked up to the chassis, do i really hook it up that way? It has only 1 ground wire so the negatives go there and wire goes directly to chassis. Any info please? thanks!
It sounds like this particular stereo is designed with a COMMON GROUND set-up (common design many years back but very un-common for todays head-units). With this set-up, you have to connect the head-unit to ground and also every speaker's (-VE) lead. This design is very susceptible to induce noise. Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, got the stereo hooked up and running, lucky me there was a noise supressor on the power line, now i can listen to mp3's in my car without a mp3 player! thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts