Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2008 TCH
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wasn't aware of the extended warranty for the melting dash issues. I read an article on line and rushed down to the dealer only to find out i was 3 weeks too late. I called the Toyota's customer service number to only hear the same answer. I explained that i was never notified by Toyota about this issue. They said sorry, would i like an estimate? I said what is the best number for my attorney to call after my wife has an accident because of the glare from the dash reflecting into her eyes. Has anyone had any luck getting a dash replaced after the extended warranty period expired. Its a shame that they don't use certified mail to inform owners. Is there anything i can use to put on the dash to slow it down from getting worse. Thanks

·
Registered
2007 Camry Hybrid
3 Posts
I dunno, other than to say I'm buying a 2007 TCH with 49.6K miles on it that has a sticky, scratched and, in one spot, dime-size gouged dashboard and I just learned about the expired, extended warranty today. It's such a shame, because otherwise the interior is in excellent condition. I'll probably end up buying one of those carpeted dash covers unless I learn about a better solution here on the forum. Bump.

·
Not as Happy a Toyota Camry Owner as I'd Planned t
2009 Toyota Camry LE
7 Posts
Rediculous Melting/Sticky Dashboards that Never got fixed!

I have the same problem. I was quoted a $1700 cost to replace the dashboard while the service manager at our local Toyota dealership disavowed the problem being caused by the materials Toyota changed to for the years in question. He claimed it is the Florida sun/heat's fault...Yeah right!

My 1994 Honda dash is in perfect condition and been in the Florida sun & heat for many many years so it is crazy for Toyota not to take responsibility! I checked those rug covers too and find them to be gross! For me, they make a good looking interior look like low class trash!

BTW, found this fix while hunting through this forum and this issue.... more expensive than the rug at $200+ but looks so much better!! hthttps://www.carid.com/2009-toyota-camry-interior-parts/coverlay-dash-cover-53339865.html?parentsubmodel[]=ourSubModelName|LE

·
Registered
2 Posts
I wasn't aware of the extended warranty for the melting dash issues. I read an article on line and rushed down to the dealer only to find out i was 3 weeks too late. I called the Toyota's customer service number to only hear the same answer. I explained that i was never notified by Toyota about this issue. They said sorry, would i like an estimate? I said what is the best number for my attorney to call after my wife has an accident because of the glare from the dash reflecting into her eyes. Has anyone had any luck getting a dash replaced after the extended warranty period expired. Its a shame that they don't use certified mail to inform owners. Is there anything i can use to put on the dash to slow it down from getting worse. Thanks

Were you ever able to find an answer on this?

·
Not as Happy a Toyota Camry Owner as I'd Planned t
2009 Toyota Camry LE
7 Posts
Were you ever able to find an answer on this?
No, they clearly have no desire to take responsibility for causing this problem....they're just glad the 10 years is up so they save the money. I am disgusted with Toyota's BS and attitude. I won't ever buy another one once this one is done!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I agree with you they aren't sorry for the problem that they caused.
I was on the phone with them the other day. They were talking about how they were doing US, the buyers, a favor for extending the warranty.
But it was THEIR fault for using inferior products.
They do not want to fix their mistakes even if it is dangerous to their drivers/customers. I've been driving the car with the sticky solution for about two days and wow it is suuuuper distracting and blinding when it is hit by the sun or a street light. All i got from the representative was him defending toyota and basically we were even lucky that toyota decided to extend it because they saw it was their fault... you would think that there wouldn't be a time limit if they were at fault.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I too am very disappointed in Toyota's response to this KNOWN issue. (Mine's an 07 Camry.) They don't seem to want to admit it or take resp for it. My 99 4Runner doesn't have this problem, and it's lived in the Texas heat & sun all its life. The sticky problem obviously is annoying, but the SAFETY factor, that glare plus its reflection in the windshield, OMFG. I saw all the heartache people went thru trying to get the dash replaced. Seems that warranty or not, there were very few that Toyota actually followed through on.

So what did I do? $40 custom cut dash mat. Got one in black velvet a year ago, it worked great, and also stopped the windshield reflection problem. (PRO TIP: Don't get the tiger stripe one - it looks great but then you see tiger stripes reflected in the windshield!) 🤦

Bonus: since the dash is already sticky, the mat really stays in place great!!! And it will REMAIN there whenever I sell the car!

·
Registered
2008 TCH
697 Posts
For every person that has issues there are 10 or more that have none. I have been very pleased with my experiences at the dealer with regard to TSB's and recalls. I did have to wait 8 months for the dash. But, I did eventually get it, like everything else. Trying to remember all the stuff they replaced for free. Sun visors, floor mats, dashboard, power window switches, brake light switch-pedal stroke sensor, brake fluid reservoir, steering shaft. Quite a list, but they were on it and took care of it every time. I can't complain on a car that's about to cross the 300,000 mile mark. I have moved 3 times since I've owned mine and the only reason the TSB's, recall and warranty info. found me was because I did have regular service at the dealer and they kept my address and phone # updated in the system...

Very satisfied customer here. And although I probably won't buy a Toyota again (It will be a Lexus), I'll still be giving my money to them when the time comes for a new car again. I plan to take this one to 400,000. I'm curious to see how far a set of original brake pads and rotors go on one of these cars. Mine are all original and still have half the pad left. So many things about these cars that people forget. One of them is the brakes. The others are no alternators, no starter, no conventional A/C, no timing belt. The list goes on. I know I have saved thousands by sticking with this car over 12 years and not having to replace things that conventional cars have (some listed above).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts