Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Tacoma 4WD
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a solution not a question that I had a hard time finding online.

My '02 Tacoma parking brake would not release completely. The brake dash indicator would stay on. Initially by pushing the ebrake handle in the light would go out. Gradually the problem got worse and I could begin to feel the ebrake dragging when first driving away.

Solution: With the ebrake off (chock the wheels for safety), follow the brake cable to each rear wheel. The cable is attached to a crank that has a rubber boot covering the pivot point. There is likely a lot of rust under the boot. By prying the boot aside and lubing well with WD-40 and then using channel lock pliers and rubber mallet you can loosen up the cranks.

Also check the adjustment located roughly beneath the driver's door. Lube as necessary.

I guess a maintenance shot of WD-40 under the boots occasionally would help displace moisture and lube the parts.

·
Registered
2003 Tacoma TRD
216 Posts
Welcome to the Nation and thanks for the tip. I have the same problem but I live in an area that doesn't salt the roads so I don't have any rust hardly at all. But I will certainly check it out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thats exactly how I solved that problem as well. I've been driving with the sticky parking brake for year and finally got fed up and lubed the pivot spring/joint. Works like brand new now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts