Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, remember the last thread? I smelled a strong fuel vapor odor, The gas tank was pressurized & the gas cap o-ring was good. There was not any pressure when I removed the hose from the charcoal canister. The smell turned into a raw fuel smell & the pressure dampener started leaking because the screw had fell out. These are two separate issues or at least I'm pretty sure. So that's all fixed now but still on a hot 100 degree + day my fuel tank builds a lot of pressure & the vapor smell is there again until I release the fuel cap & the pressure.

So, Who knows what's going on here? Is it just too freakin hot or can something be done to fix this issue? Sometimes while walking through a hot parking lot I will smell the same fuel vapor smell with other cars as well. Not many though, maybe it's a common issue?

Thanks a lot as always, Rich.

BTW: I also posted this over at yota tech but didn't get any respomse as of yet so I figured I would try it here as well.

·
Languishing in Virginia
2,026 Posts
You mean you haven't burned that thing to the ground YET?~!?

Do you have all your vacuum hoses correctly installed?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh yes, all of the vacuum lines are on correctly & not leaking. The fuel dampener has also been replaced so it is no longer leaking actual fuel. now just has the fuel vapor smell coming from the fuel cap or around that area as the tank has a lot of built up pressure on a hot day.

I'm thinking that maybe I should shoot some compressed air into the line that comes into the charcoal canister from the fuel tank? Maybe it's blocked or something? Does anyone know if there's any solenoids or valves back near the tank for the avap system?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update, I went out & checked a few things.

I tried shooting compressed air into the line that goes from the canister to the tank, I am guessing there is a check valve somewhere because it wouldn't go into the tank, When I applied vacuum & the tank did hold a vacuum though.

The small line coming from the canister to the valve on the rear of the engine works & pulls vacuum like it should. I checked it cold & hot & all is good.

Now I tried pulling vacuum from the purge on top of the canister & it did not make any vacuum or would it pull through the larger nipple on the canister that runs back to the tank. I am thinking that the canister itself is the issue & may be clogged. Does this sound correct? Has anyone had this same problem?

Thanks as always, Rich

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I've never heard of a similar problem with a charcoal canister on our series of trucks. I'm not saying it hasn't happened, just have never heard/read about it. There are plenty of problems with the 2000 and later canisters, sometimes caused by people topping off with fuel and then parking someplace warm, and the fuel expands and floods the canister. Maybe ours would be vulnerable to the same type situation; not sure. You might just try replacing it with a low-mile junkyard part, you might get lucky.

I will say that most often fuel vapor smell is due to a fuel leak. Gasoline converts to vapor quickly, especially on a hot motor or in a hot town.:D Aside from the pulsation damper, the other leak sources include the injectors, and the fuel return line. In fact I had to fix a leak in my return line just last year. That starts out at the regulator in the front of the driver side rail, but it routes back next to the fuel lines, and does pass below the canister area. (Mine leaked further back, just in front of the tank.) I don't include fuel line joints because I know you checked those. I guess in this age of soft metal-corroding ethanol, that we need to include a pinhole in an aluminum fuel rail as a possibility.

Good luck with it. Sounds like one of those annoying persistent problems, but I'm sure you'll find it eventually. Good luck!

·
Soylent Green sales
12,801 Posts
You could go over everything with a cigarette lighter, you'll get an answer one way or the other.

:)

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Hey, That's a good idea. I think I'll try it tonight.
Have someone stand (way) back with a video camera and tell them to post the footage! :popcorn:

·
Soylent Green sales
12,801 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
4 Participants
fourwd1
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing