Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 Corolla, 1.8L, Automatic trans., and 106K miles. I had a bad vibration in the car and changed all the motor mounts which made a tremendous difference for the good and has reduced most of the vibration. I still have a slight buzz (vib.) in the steering wheel and dash. I was told it may be due to:

1. the torque converter (sounded reasonable)
2. catalytic converter (didn't get this one) and/or
3. harmonic balancer (could be).

I notice the vibration only when the car is in gear. In neutral the vib is not noticeable. Most noticeable when not moving and in gear.

Any expert gear heads know what could possibly be going on? Thanks.

·
1994 Toyota Corolla DX
4 Posts
My Corolla suffers the same problem. It's on original engine mounts, though.

As with yours, it vibrates through the wheel and dash, and most notably when idling in gear, but I assume since my engine mounts are original, that is the reason my entire cabin vibrates horribly.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, you will notice a considerable difference. With the engine mounts bad, the right front fender will vibrate greatly. The engine mounts (4 of them) overtime just wear out. If you research my previous blogs back to January, you can get a detailed explanation of the fix and costs associated with the problem. It is well worth it to change them out. Also, if you have not changed the fuel filter, it will be a good time to do that also. Cheers and Good luck.

·
Saloon Fanatic
Mr2
705 Posts
Depends how slight.... any car when in gear and not moving will have the motor loaded up and the torque converter slipping. Since the idle drops slightly and the engine has some load now its normal to get a little vibration at idle. If all else is well then I would think you may just have to get used to driving an economy car, even if we don't like to think of our 7th gens as being of economy quality. My 1.8 4spd does it as did my 1.6 3spd. You may be able to get rid of it by slightly adjusting your idle by the set screw on the throttle body or checking timing. Timing out may cause a lower idle. Cleaning your idle air control valve may help too. A lower idle will cause vibrations at idle with the car in gear.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey, thanks for your input. I just have been tinkering with the little car as a hobby. So I am not sure whether the slight vibration is normal or not. You may be right in that I may just have to get use to it. The mechanic mentioned it to me after putting in the motor mounts, so I am aware of it. I definitely think it might be the torque converter, but I will check the other possible cause that you mentioned. It seems that when the engine is warm and/or warm outside temps., the vibration is not as noticeable. On another note, I see that you have a tricked out engine. Did you do the work, or did you order one already tricked. How many horses do you expect to get when you are complete? Thanks again.

·
Saloon Fanatic
Mr2
705 Posts
I do all my own work. Its a hobby for me as well, but I consider myself very mechanically inclined. I would do everything myself if I had the money for the tools. Only things I lack are a tig welder, hoist, and a milling machine.
The 4afe was expected to be around the 180-200whp mark at 8lbs. The silvertop will be stock besides some exhaust work so I would like to expect 130whp with the fresh rebuild. A step backwards but its in the name of reliability and fun as I love high revving motors.

On my 93:
Stock motor/3spd auto with 206k swapped out for a 20v 4age with 5 speed.
Sold 20v, put stock motor in with 5 speed. Then installed a 6 speed with lsd onto the stock motor. Then turbocharged the stock motor, full system was custom built with the help of friends and tuned by myself. Oil return let go from the oil pan due to a poor weld at the pan (coated fitting caused a porous weld that cracked and broke on the hwy), lost the oil and took out a rod bearing.

My 94:
The trans and turbo went into this new 94 I was on the way to buy when the oil return let go on the 93. All my parts transferred over.
Turbo ended up taking some damage when the oil was lost so instead of spending a pile of money on a turbo, I am rebuilding another 20v silvertop I picked up for peanuts and am going to run it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts