Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
13,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking at how the air flow works in the T-100...the air intake pulls the air from the passenger fender (1995-1998). After pulling the side marker housing, I noticed the opening of the intake tube points to the passenger door. So I figured I would rotate the tube and point it towards the side marker opening basically towards the front of the truck. Gonna git some tubing and divert some cool air from the front of the truck from the dropped air dam to the opening of the intake tube and see if it makes any difference or not in the long run. I'm sure I'll pick up more bugs, dirt, etc but I'm working on something to reduce the amount of crud that the intake will pull in and git some fresh clean cool air at the same time.

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
13,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got a basic crude system setup...

Got the 2' (2.5" diameter) extension pipe fer my shop vac and shoved it up between the fender so I would have an air path to the intake.

Cut a 4" hole in my dropped air dam panel and put in a dryer flapper adapter. Hooked up a 4" and 3" hose to bring the air to the shop vac pipe. It still needs work but in my first tests...the air intake temp was about 4°F above ambient at 65-70mph. I could tell a small difference in pick up in the middle range when I stepped on the gas pedal. :D

Still got more work and experimenting to do though...like buiding a decent bellmouth inlet... :D

Piccies...

I could probably put in a 4" flapper valve on the front of the airbox and control the amount of air going into it from the air dam. :D

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
13,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After doing tons of research and shopping...finally found something that might work. Spending big bucks on an experiment just isn't in my budget so with my little eye..I spied..this!

It's something I picked up at Target earlier this year fer about $5 fer the whole thing...it's a toilet brush and holder. :D Did some quick measurements and it should do the job if I hack it down correctly. Here goes... ;)

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
13,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BAm you do know about the deck plate mod or the elbow mod right?
Yes...I know about both of those. They still drag in air from the engine bay. I'm thinking about routing the air from the air dam to the airbox some way but I wanted to experiment first. ;)

With the hole in the same place as the deckplate mod, I could put in a damper in it's place and control when I wanted the extra air through a cable pull. I'd have to make sure it would be able to seal it tight in case I go through some water and needed to keep it out of the airbox. ;)

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
13,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got the toilet brush holder top mounted to the air dam now... ;)

·
Registered
69 Posts
I guess you'll just have to be sure you don't suck in water and hydro your engine. Do you know if they make snorkels for the T? Can't seem to find one.

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
13,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess you'll just have to be sure you don't suck in water and hydro your engine. Do you know if they make snorkels for the T? Can't seem to find one.
I believe you can use the snorkel fer the 4Runner...but I'm not fer sure. ;)

I just modded the intake some more. I went and ran 3" aluminum semi-rigid duct tubing from the air dam to the intake tube. There's enough gaps to provide a vacuum break in case I run into a little water. I even poked a small hole in the ducting fer any water to drain out. I figure I would have to be at full throttle in order to suck in water up and through that 3" piping...with all the gaps in the hose completely sealed up. :D

I had to cut some of my fender liner away so the ducting would fit. Since the ducting was aluminum...it was rather easy to shape it to fit the air box intake tubing. :D

I did notice that the air plenum does git heat soaked from the engine and engine bay temps. Does anyone know where the intake air temp sensor is located at? I didn't see it in the airbox at all. :(

From the air dam...

...to the intake inlet.

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
13,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just got back from a quick spin on the road...

First impression is that the engine doesn't lug/kick down on a slight upgrade when the cruise control is on. Kinda freaky when yer used to it revving up. :D

Intake temps were about 2°F to 3°F over ambient temps. My ambient temps were around 85°F. Pretty good punch at 80mph... :D

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
13,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hey bam you got more pics of your truck? Interesting front bumper settup. Is that the stock lip lowered down a bit ?
Search... :D

Yes...it's the stock air dam/valance that I dropped with some basic hardware. I just transferred the hardware from the other truck... ;)

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
13,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It will be between the air filter and the intake manifold. Mine's on the air filter housing.

Steve
I would figure as much but looking through the FSM and through ToyoDIY.com I'm not coming up with it's actual location... :(

According to ToyoDIY there's one fer my 1996 T-100 4 cylinder auto...but it says there isn't one fer my 3.4L 6 cylinder T-100... :(

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
13,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Took me awhile but I found out where the temp sensor is...at least according to my T-100 factory electrical service manual...page 62 under the System Outline. This is fer the 5vzfe 3.4L 6 cylinder engine... ;)

(2) Intake air temp. signal system
The intake air temp. sensor is installed inside the mass air flow meter and detects the intake air temp., which is input as a control signal to TERMINAL THA of the engine control module.
At least I know what my next mod is...time to insulate the airbox and air tube with some insulation and see if it changes the amount of heat soak the air box gits... ;)

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
13,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just arrived here in Wichita, KS...and my intake mod held up really great in the rain and on the road. :D

Gas mileage at 70mph was around 20.5mpg and at 60mph I got just under 24mpg (23.75mpg) on AT tires. Not sure if the Roadmaster Active Suspension helped along or not but I'm sure it didn't hurt either. I normally git just over 19mpg on this trip with this 5vzfe with 300lbs of gear in the bed. :D

I can definitely say that it really helps on the inclines especially with the cruise control on. No more lugging the engine and then having it throttle up and downshift just to maintain speed up a small incline. ;) There were a few hills that it shifted out of overdrive and to 3rd gear but only near the top of the hill and fer about 10 seconds at best. :D

I still have to put in a vacuum break port on the air box so if I do git in some high water, I can open up the break and minimize the amount of water that might git sucked up into the air box/engine. :D

I'd have to say this mod is definitely a keeper! :D

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
13,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It rained big time coming back...no problems at all! No sputtering/choking at all even during the heaviest rain during the drive. :D

There was only one hill that it downshifted to 2nd just to git up the hill but it was done and over with before I knew it. ;)

Gas mileage was around 21mpg at 75mph...haven't crunched the numbers all the way but when I got back in to Houston traffic the speed varied a lot so the over numbers won't be consistent. ;)

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
13,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just scored a spare airbox fer $45 shipped. It should be here within a week or so. Can't wait fer it to git here so I can do some evil things to it and see what comes of it... ;) :D

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
13,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My new (to me) airbox arrived today. The madness begins... ;)

Doing more thinking out of the box...what's the possibility of moving the airbox near the wiper motor area? Yes...I know I'll have to do some modding to the hose from the airbox to the throttle body, too. ;)

The original inlet (from the fender to the airbox is 3¼" ID. The tube necks down to 2½" ID. The outlet of the box is 3 1/8" ID that goes to the MAF.

Thinking about blocking off the original inlet on the box and removing the tube. Add 2 new inlets...one fer the cool air "ram" intake and one fer the warm/hot air intake. Construct some controllable flapper/butterfly valves so I can control the air intake temp and flow with cable controllers. Keep it in cool air fer acceleration and add in heat when I want to git more economy from the truck. What do you think? ;)

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
13,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well...the stock air box as it is won't fit near the wiper motor without some major modification...it's too tall fer that area. So I either chop the bottom section so it fits or go with a custom setup...or just abandon the idea of moving the airbox near the wiper motor. ;)

Been doing some more thinking and wondering if I could shorten the intake tube from the MAF to the TB...and what that would do fer performance/mileage. :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts