Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2002 4Runner Sport
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got stuck in the mud the other day:sosad: so I decided to put the M/T's back on:naughty: (especially now that I finally got my fender all trimmed out where they won't rub). While they we're mounting my tires I thought it would be a good time to inspect my front brake pads. I was amazed to see the pad were 2/3's worn at most.:whatwhat: BTW I have 43K mi on my truck. Is it just me or is that not a really long lived set of brake pads?:confused: I've had cars that barely got 30K out of a set of front pads! Anyway just wondering if everyone else was having the same success with their brakes.

·
4.0 Smoking
2005 Tacoma
2,827 Posts
TRDtoy79 said:
Got stuck in the mud the other day:sosad: so I decided to put the M/T's back on:naughty: (especially now that I finally got my fender all trimmed out where they won't rub). While they we're mounting my tires I thought it would be a good time to inspect my front brake pads. I was amazed to see the pad were 2/3's worn at most.:whatwhat: BTW I have 43K mi on my truck. Is it just me or is that not a really long lived set of brake pads?:confused: I've had cars that barely got 30K out of a set of front pads! Anyway just wondering if everyone else was having the same success with their brakes.
I changed mine out at 30k they were pretty worn down.

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
I changed mine at 20k. I switched to Hawk ceramic pads, but the stock pads still had about 70% left.

·
4.0 Smoking
2005 Tacoma
2,827 Posts
Havent changed the rear. I dont know what the reverse squeal is i dont expeirence it on my truck.

I think i wore out my break pads from all the 4wheeling i did when i first bought the truck. I had to slam on the brakes alot with 2wd in mudd.

·
Registered
2002 4Runner Sport
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So basically I own all ya'll in gas milage and brake pad life!:nana: Apparently I drive like a little old lady.:preach: So slow down and lay off the brakes and you can all quit bitchin' about the milage and be super cool like me.:smokin: Or not, I don't give a crap.:kingme:

·
4.0 Smoking
2005 Tacoma
2,827 Posts
TRDtoy79 said:
So basically I own all ya'll in gas milage and brake pad life!:nana: Apparently I drive like a little old lady.:preach: So slow down and lay off the brakes and you can all quit bitchin' about the milage and be super cool like me.:smokin: Or not, I don't give a crap.:kingme:
Were moving forward your getting stuck in mudd.

·
Troyslegacy
155 Posts
I had a 2003 that with about 40k that I sold last year. I took a look at the brake pads when I last rotated the tires and the still looked like they had about 80% life left. I thought it was pretty amazing. I guess I am easy on the brakes, unlike my x.

·
Registered
2002 4Runner Sport
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh yeah. Forgot I admitted that.

By the time I got out out it was dark and the mud was frozen to my truck!:yikes: I guess getting stuck in mud improves your gas mileage and extends the life of your brake pads.:whatthe:

·
Registered
151 Posts
TrdTacoma84 said:
Havent changed the rear. I dont know what the reverse squeal is i dont expeirence it on my truck.

I think i wore out my break pads from all the 4wheeling i did when i first bought the truck. I had to slam on the brakes alot with 2wd in mudd.
When the brake drums on the rear have the slightest bit of moisture on them sometimes they will squeak when applying the brakes while in reverse. To my understanding a lot of people have complained about this.

·
4.0 Smoking
2005 Tacoma
2,827 Posts
TRDtoy79 said:
Oh yeah. Forgot I admitted that.

By the time I got out out it was dark and the mud was frozen to my truck!:yikes: I guess getting stuck in mud improves your gas mileage and extends the life of your brake pads.:whatthe:

ive done the same my truck was coeverd in mud when i first got it probabli like 2 months after i bought it. HAHAHA wish that forumal worked on my truck.

·
4.0 Smoking
2005 Tacoma
2,827 Posts
Obxfishn said:
When the brake drums on the rear have the slightest bit of moisture on them sometimes they will squeak when applying the brakes while in reverse. To my understanding a lot of people have complained about this.
Hmm never heard mine do that. Probably never focused to hearing it.

·
Hey There...
05' Prerunner Taco
920 Posts
I got 21k on my truck and my brakes are still good. Still brake awesome and I brake them hard so I know they are working. I think you whos getting 40+k must be braking 1 mile before the stop. Haha jk

·
Registered
2002 4Runner Sport
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OneMnk said:
I got 21k on my truck and my brakes are still good. Still brake awesome and I brake them hard so I know they are working. I think you whos getting 40+k must be braking 1 mile before the stop. Haha jk

Learning to let off the excelerator well before you stop does improve gas mileage and obviously saves your brakes from unnecessary wear & tear.:preach: Years of my Dad yelling at me about it finally paid off I guess. :rolleyes: Now that I've learned the secrets to driving on road I need someone to teach me offroading.:help: I've learned the hard way :bash: that momentum is your friend!

·
Engine 80 is in service
'10 FJ Cruiser 4x4
1,040 Posts
I drive so many highway miles, I bet my brakes will last 100,000 miles.

·
Registered
Nothing @ the moment
413 Posts
Obxfishn said:
I have this problem with mine.

·
drive it like ya stole it
06 tacoma prerunner
302 Posts
hey, pb...how are the hawk ceramic pads?? im thinkin bout either those or a pair of stoptechs up front!

Pb said:
I changed mine at 20k. I switched to Hawk ceramic pads, but the stock pads still had about 70% left.

·
Tragically Hip
342 Posts
Has anyone tried the TRD Replacement Brake Pads, and if so are they much better than stock? Car & Criver replaced their (Long Term Test) Tacoma's with an aftermarket brake pad ( For got the Brand??) and they claimed a much improved brake pedal feel and stopping power. I tow a trailer every other weekened and I will be looking for new front brake pads later this year.

Any ideas about the best replacement Front Brake Pads that are available???

Thanks.

·
drive it like ya stole it
06 tacoma prerunner
302 Posts
the brakepads that car and driver used were stoptech pads. do a google search for them.....seem like pretty damn good pads! ill probably go with these or hawk ceramics!

kooltaco said:
Has anyone tried the TRD Replacement Brake Pads, and if so are they much better than stock? Car & Criver replaced their (Long Term Test) Tacoma's with an aftermarket brake pad ( For got the Brand??) and they claimed a much improved brake pedal feel and stopping power. I tow a trailer every other weekened and I will be looking for new front brake pads later this year.

Any ideas about the best replacement Front Brake Pads that are available???

Thanks.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Got 158K on the stock front pads..... Never seen anything last as long as these things! probably gonna replace them this week with Toyota again....

1 - 20 of 31 Posts