Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

After a whopping 27K miles, I've had my bought-new '14 DC SB 4x4 rear leafs flatten. Searching (again) through the threads here, every suggestion I've found for replacements add 2-3" of lift, e.g. OME Dakar. I'm not looking to lift, basically running stock now. I never tow, and regularly haul 200 lbs. for extended periods and infrequently 800lbs+ for a few hours at a time.

So, I'm looking for suggestions. Searches come up with sites like https://www.generalspringkc.com/product_p/90-297hd.htm but I'd prefer feedback and recommendations from Taco owners.

Also, what else is required with the leafs? Bushings and u-bolts -- anything else?

Thanks,
Rich

·
Soylent Green sales
12,801 Posts
If you don't want a lift, those look OK.
They include the bushings, and the old u-bolts should work.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
OP, I experienced the same problem early on both of my Tacomas. I assume you have the OEM 4 leaf (3+1)? If not there are a bunch of take-offs out there. I'm talking about the '14-'15s. What I did was keep the OEM 4 leaf on my '14 and added SuperSprings as a carryover from experience I had with them on my first Taco. They also have something called SumoSprings people seem to love.

The Super Springs are another leaf bolted on top of the leaf pack that pull the stock spring arch up a bit, and have rollers on both ends and self adjust to loads. Their site has a bunch of info, illustrations, and probably some videos. They also act like a rear stabilizer. I would not have a Tacoma without them.

·
Registered
64 Posts
My leaf springs were also flat and I got the recall replacements a couple years ago. I didn't like the rake of my truck because I got the 5100s up .85 in the front and it made the rear look as if it was sagging. So what I did and you might be able to also, there is a local place here that makes leaf springs (Brute Springs) and I had them re-arch the stock rear leaf springs 2 inches. I took the springs off, dropped them off in the morning and picked them back up in the afternoon the same day. Now my truck is 1.75 inches higher in the rear compared to the front. They settled .25 inches. Might be an option for you and it only cost me $55.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice, all. I'm not quite settled on what I want to do yet, but as I plan on keeping this truck for "awhile", I'm leaning towards replacement. And as I recently attended a fundraiser for a guy who survived being crushed under his vehicle while working on it, I'll take my inexperience to a shop if I can find one...

I'll post back when I get the work done.

Thanks again!
Rich

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, here I am, over a year later, and I finally got the leafs replaced. I wish I had taken measurements before the job, but it looks like the rear end is now 4 or 5 inches higher than it was with the flat/inverted stock leafs. I'm thinking that will settle a bit. I'm just happy that my truck rides like a truck again!

A few notes: The springs had zero packaging and cost ~$85 to ship to me via UPS. So if you're concerned about the black paint, you'll likely want to touch it up. My installer noted that he needed to drill out one spot for the emergency brake cable. I haven't taken a close look at that yet to see exactly what was done, but it's something I thought I'd include here. Also, there's now a slight creaking noise, which I'll likely never have time to investigate...

That being said, I'm really happy with the initial feel of these leafs. Time will tell how they hold up.

Thanks,
Rich

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
manoleg
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing