Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the stock intake on an I4 03 camry there is a plastic pipe and a odd shaped box on the intake pipe between the throttlebody and the filter box. I have removed them and plugged up the holes. I am not sure if it did anything, but the exhaust sounds a little bit deeper but i dont know if it is just in my head. Can this do any harm to the engine? Will there be any advantage or disadvantage to doing this? I have been driving it for a day and it seem sfine so far. I dont have any pics right now but i will try to get some tommorow.

·
HID/Retrofit Expert
2002 Camry LE
4,304 Posts
Thats a charcoal canister. It has nothing to do with your exhaust.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thats what i figured, but will anything happen from it not being there. like the sensors not reading right or anything.

·
New older TN User
30 Posts
I've also been wondering about a large growth (polyp) in the intake before the air cleaner. It's probably there to reduce noise. But if it causes a restriction, I'd rather be rid of it. I was thinking of cutting it off where it attaches to the intake tube, but it would probably be better to just remove the whole assembly and replace with a plain tube. That way, I can always put the original back on if I ever need to. Replacing it with a tube shouldn't cause any problems...would it?

·
HID/Retrofit Expert
2002 Camry LE
4,304 Posts
That "polyp" is a resonator. Resonators don't cause restriction. Removing it wouldn't give you any gains except for louder engine noise.

·
HID/Retrofit Expert
2002 Camry LE
4,304 Posts
touringcamry said:
Howcome your exhaust has no heat shield?
Many of the 4cyl models starting with 2004 did not come with heat shields.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hummm, my 07 has a heat shield.

On the resonators, they will help slightly by removing them as the way they make the engine not as loud is by adding turbulence in the intake tract, and by removing them the swoosh you hear is air striaght to the throttle body.

·
HID/Retrofit Expert
2002 Camry LE
4,304 Posts
NufNuffZ28 said:
Hummm, my 07 has a heat shield.
Like I said, "many" of the 4cyl models starting with 2004 didn't come with a heat shield. Some still did though.

·
Registered
Camry
6,925 Posts
That's weird that some do not have heatshield. Is that due to Japanese vs Kentucky manufacturing? My 07 CE has it.

·
HID/Retrofit Expert
2002 Camry LE
4,304 Posts
touringcamry said:
That's weird that some do not have heatshield. Is that due to Japanese vs Kentucky manufacturing? My 07 CE has it.
I don't think so... Mine is Japan-built and mine has the heat shield... before I got the '07 V6 LE, I had an '02 Solara 4cyl, Kentucky-built, and it had the heat shield also.

But Andy's (aGen5camry) 2004 doesn't have the shield.

·
Registered
Camry
6,925 Posts
white3ch0c0late said:
I don't think so... Mine is Japan-built and mine has the heat shield... before I got the '07 V6 LE, I had an '02 Solara 4cyl, Kentucky-built, and it had the heat shield also.

But Andy's (aGen5camry) 2004 doesn't have the shield.
Where is Andy's built? You said starting in 2004 earlier, so your 2002 would have had it anyway right?

·
HID/Retrofit Expert
2002 Camry LE
4,304 Posts
touringcamry said:
Where is Andy's built? You said starting in 2004 earlier, so your 2002 would have had it anyway right?
Yeah, from what I've seen, only some of the 2004 and up models lack the heat shield. I BELIEVE that Andy's is US-built because his fog lights aren't the pop-out kind like mine were. At the same time, from what I remember (I may be wrong, but I'm fairly certain), Webb26 has a 2004 Japan-built Camry, and he doesn't have a heat shield either.

·
2010 Camry SE V6
2021 Toyota Camry TRD
3,271 Posts
the reason it doesn't have a heat shield is because most 2004 and up are PZEV.

·
New older TN User
30 Posts
NufNuffZ28 said:
On the resonators, they will help slightly by removing them as the way they make the engine not as loud is by adding turbulence in the intake tract, and by removing them the swoosh you hear is air striaght to the throttle body.
That's what I was thinking, a clean smooth tube has to be less restrictive than a twisty thing with holes in it. But it may not make a noticable difference.

On the heat shield: The exhaust is different for the California (PZEV) and non-CA cars:

California:

non-California:

Non-California exhaust looks almost like headers. CA exhaust is best for emissions.

Ours is a CA car :)() built in KY and does have a heat shield further down and a heat shield on the back of one fan:

white3ch0c0late:
You're at CSUN now? I was there, twice. BS and then an MS twenty-some years later. Yeah, I'm getting old . . .

·
HID/Retrofit Expert
2002 Camry LE
4,304 Posts
WhiteCrown said:
white3ch0c0late:
You're at CSUN now? I was there, twice. BS and then an MS twenty-some years later. Yeah, I'm getting old . . .
Yup! Webb26 (the guy who just did a projector retro in the Show and Share forum) and I both go to CSUN. I'm double-majoring in Finance and Information Systems. :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts