Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 94 LE i4 and there is a stock oil cooler that is a little cannister seated on the block between it and the oil filter. It is leaking oil from the bottom of the oil cooler where it sits on the block.

I have been unable to find anywhere that sells the gasket for the oil cooler. The leak is small so I'm afraid to take the oil cooler off to investigate without having a replacement gasket. Does anyone know where I could get one? Do you think taking the gasket out of a new oil filter and using that would work? Anyone have any experience with this?

Lastly, how important is this little oil cooler? Would I be better off just removing it completely? How much of a temperature difference would it make do you think? Would there be anything special I would need to do to remove it completely?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's a picture. The green arrow is pointing to the bottom side of the oil cooler where the leak appears to be coming from. The yellow arrows are pointing to where the oil is flowing across the block and then dripping onto the exhaust. (causes some smoke)

·
Registered
190 Posts
got the same problem before...its a cheap 2 dollar gasket behind the oil cooler....simple to take apart and replace..a dealer only item though...its called the oil cooler gasket, if I recall right...if I can find the part number on that...I'll post it...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
two gaskets, though only one really needed to be replaced. I wish I had taken pictures while I had the oil cooler out but I had so much grime on my hands it wasn't practical.

I was able to get the gaskets from the big local Toyota dealership, thanks Camdaddy. Cost for both was $4.78 and well worth it. The main gasket is about 2 inches in diameter and about a 1/4" wide. It is rubber and and is a ring with a flat lip (total 1/4" wide). It fits into an area of the bottom of the oil cooler where it stays in place by little holders. It does not sit directly on the block. The second gasket is an O-ring inside the cooler where the main shaft bolts into the block. I went ahead and replaced both.

Ironically the hardest part was dealing with the coolant lines. If I had planned better for that it would have been a lot less messy and a lot faster. If I had to do it again I'd take the exhaust manifold and Cat off to make dealing with the cooland lines easier.

What was causing the leak was that the gasket had warped and pulled in on one side. It was very brittle even though soft and broke apart into lots of pieces when I tried to remove it.

Now that I'm done the oil leak is completely gone. Yay! I don't know much about cars so this was a major victory for me.

·
Registered
49 Posts
yeah. the gasket you need to replace is probably the one about 2 inches in diameter, dailydrivecamry mentioned above. it's a simple job.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Yup...I was so stumped by it till one day I was just thinking there gotta be a o-ring or gasket behind that. I even went to the toyota dealers to look a diagrams, they don't even show it. I tore it apart and then found out it was the o-ring, I work for sears auto, called the local dealership and got both gasket, at a discounted price...change the coolant hoses if you want to coz they are probably built up with grim and grit...

·
Registered
58 Posts
DailyDriveCamry said:
two gaskets, though only one really needed to be replaced. I wish I had taken pictures while I had the oil cooler out but I had so much grime on my hands it wasn't practical.

I was able to get the gaskets from the big local Toyota dealership, thanks Camdaddy. Cost for both was $4.78 and well worth it. The main gasket is about 2 inches in diameter and about a 1/4" wide. It is rubber and and is a ring with a flat lip (total 1/4" wide). It fits into an area of the bottom of the oil cooler where it stays in place by little holders. It does not sit directly on the block. The second gasket is an O-ring inside the cooler where the main shaft bolts into the block. I went ahead and replaced both.

Ironically the hardest part was dealing with the coolant lines. If I had planned better for that it would have been a lot less messy and a lot faster. If I had to do it again I'd take the exhaust manifold and Cat off to make dealing with the cooland lines easier.

What was causing the leak was that the gasket had warped and pulled in on one side. It was very brittle even though soft and broke apart into lots of pieces when I tried to remove it.

Now that I'm done the oil leak is completely gone. Yay! I don't know much about cars so this was a major victory for me.
What tools did you use to remove the oil cooler? Mine is very tight, and I am having so much trouble taking it off. Thanks.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Is the socket 30mm? The nut size is very large. In fact, it is the same size as the valve cover nuts. Also, it is very flat and not much meat for the socket to grab hold of. It is stripping it.

·
Grenaded piston
6,594 Posts
^IIRC its 30mm. The nuts on the valve cover are 30mm.

Try pushing on the end of the breaker bar, to keep the socket on the piece you need to loosen.

I also remember it being very tight, thats why I used a breaker bar. ;)

You don't need to remove the 2 coolant hoses. After you remove the piece the oil filter screws onto, you can tilt the oil cooler forward and get to the gasket.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I will try that this weekend. Before, I used a ratchet with an extension bar attached, and it does not budge at all. Maybe a breaker bar will do the job. If only the nut is slightly taller, it will bite a little better. Thanks.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I bought a breaker bar on the way home. The store was selling a 30mm socket for $15 and the 1-3/16 socket for $7.99. I got the 1-3/16 because it was so close to the 30mm. Well, it worked and the nut finally came loose. It was very tight and took a few hard pushes. I guess a ratchet cannot do the job this time, even with an extension bar attached. The breaker bar did it. Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the info. After sitting for 6 weeks while I was out of the country, my '92 (5SFE) oil cooler gasket started leaking pretty badly, no prior warning. Replacing the gaskets was one of the easier DIY jobs I've done on this car. Even with a quality 30mm socket and breaker bar, I still rounded over the hex nut slightly when removing (no problem when reinstalling with the torque wrench). Part numbers for the gaskets: 90301-52006 (outer o-ring), 15785-35010 (inner gasket). Funny thing, I'm pretty sure that the inner gasket was never installed at the factory.

·
Registered
3 Posts
No actually the mating surface on the block was rough, not machined, and showed no evidence of an old gasket. Very strange. I installed the new one anyway, no problems yet (fingers crossed).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts