Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What tire(s) came stock on the 2002 4x4 TRD Tacoma's? Also, I've read review after review concerning different tires for light trucks and want to know what experiences most have had with the BF Goodrich All Terrain KO's? I like the look of the tire but there seems to be quite a few people that arent happy with that specific tire. Where as the Michelin's LTX M/S that are currently on my truck gets rave reviews but I personally think they suck. My biggest complaint is the side wall is to soft and causing to much rocking of the truck.

Thanks

Tug

·
WheelinIdaho
1997 Tacoma Reg cab
306 Posts
The factory recommended tire size should be on the sticker located on the driver's side door (when you open it, you'll see it)
I have BFG all terrain KO's on mine. I love these tires, always have. However they're a little pricey compared to some. I think I paid just shy of $700 for mine. I think they're 31-10.5-15, but I don't remember for sure. I've had them on since early summer last year.
(I've had them on other vehicles in the past too).

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Monk, both my brother in law and my nephew both have BFG's on their trucks (Silverado, Dodge Ram), my brother in law says their to noisy on the highway while my nephew loves them.

I'm not to concerned about the size of tires that came stock on our truck but rather the make and model. I've got Michelin's on their now and I was wondering if that's the tire that came with the truck from the manufacturer.

I was given a price of 169.00 a tire at Discount Tire but that doesn't include mounting and balancing. I think the damage after everything's said and done is $805.00. Sounds like you got a pretty good deal, where'd you get yours?

Tug

·
C-5 Mekinik
237 Posts
The 2002 TRD came with 265/70-16 Bridgestones, HT 689 I believe they were. They were fine in the dry, marginal in the wet and terrible in the snow and this was with only 13K miles on them. I replaced them with General Grabber AT2s. They are similar to the BFG AT in tread pattern, but cost quite a bit less. I paid $125 a piece, installed, for the tires at local shop here in Dover and so far I think they are a very good tire. They have been through dry, wet, mud and snow. I have around 7K miles on them. Good grip all around. Here is a shot of the tread.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thank you O2, thats exactly the information I was looking for.

I wasn't doing anything yesterday so I drove by a Discount tire store and without thinking about it took the plunge. I purchased a set of BF Goodrich All Terrain K/O's. The store didn't have any in stock but was going to have them shipped in from another store, they should be in sometime today. The problem is when I woke up this morning I was felt like crap, turns out I've got the flu and wont be going anywhere today and possibly tomorrow.

This sucks!

edit; total cost of the tire including mounting and balancing was $784.00

·
Registered
2002 Tacoma TRD
54 Posts
I have a 2002 Tacoma TRD 4x4 that came from the factory with BF Goodrich RUGGED TRAIL T/A's 265/75/16's. I just replaced them a week ago with the exact same tires. I got 50,000 out of the first set and they would have gone another 10,000 but they got old, hard, and and begain cracking. I'm in Pennsylvania and the hardness of the 5 1/2 year old tires made then suck in the snow. We got 3 inches of snow last night and the new ones worked great this morning. I thought about getting the Michelins but I hated the way the looked. I like the solid white letter look & tread pattern of the Rugged Trails. The Michlins were white letter outline like every other brand and the letters are huge. If you don't care about white letters or look of the tire then there are probably better choices.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just had Discount Tire install a set of BF Goodrich All Terrain K/O's on my truck and absolutely love them. The difference in the ride is like night and day.

B52 I had a set of Michelin's on my truck and I felt like a soccer mom when I drove around on them plus the sidewall was is so soft it felt like the truck needed new shocks as a matter of fact I replaced the shocks just for that reason.

Anyway, Michelin's are off BFG's are on.

Tug

·
Registered
101 Posts
I bought a set of Kumho KL71 M/T about 2 months ago. Fantastic in the snow and the highway noise is quite tolerable for an aggressive tire. I will never buy another A/T tire again. I would just drive a car instead. But I go fly fishing every weekend in the summer so I need an aggressive tire for this purpose. I've had the BF Goodrich MT and AT before and the AT were definitely nicer on the highway, if that is your purpose, and considering you just bought them, I hope you enjoy that cushiony smooth rubbery soft goodness you get with brand new meats!

·
WheelinIdaho
1997 Tacoma Reg cab
306 Posts
Thanks Monk, both my brother in law and my nephew both have BFG's on their trucks (Silverado, Dodge Ram), my brother in law says their to noisy on the highway while my nephew loves them.

I'm not to concerned about the size of tires that came stock on our truck but rather the make and model. I've got Michelin's on their now and I was wondering if that's the tire that came with the truck from the manufacturer.

I was given a price of 169.00 a tire at Discount Tire but that doesn't include mounting and balancing. I think the damage after everything's said and done is $805.00. Sounds like you got a pretty good deal, where'd you get yours?

Tug
I bought mine at "Big O Tires", Boise, Id.
I usually have my stereo up loud enough to cover any road noise, plus I did a cheap-o spray-in version of dynomat, that cut some of the road noise.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Believe it or not when it comes to road noise I haven't noticed much of a difference between the BFG's and the Michelin's. But in all fairness you cant compare a new tire to one that has over 30K miles on it. The real test will be when the BFG's get some miles put on them.

·
Registered
1997 4Runner
33 Posts
I went from Goodyear Wrangler (OEM Tires) that sucked to Toyo Cross Country (Good Tire) and now I have Bridgestone Revo's AT (Good Tire $680.00). I always thought that Michelin's were overpriced & overrated IMO. The only thing I have ever had BRG's on is my 66" Mustang.

·
Registered
2002 Tacoma TRD
54 Posts
I got my BFG Rugged Trail T/A's at COSTCO for $134.99 each, $539.96 total cost and that includes: Mounting, Life Time Rotation & Balance, Road Hazard Warrenty, and the fill them with nitrogen.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts