Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guyz, someone stole my 89 cressida on Sat for joy ride. Police found it yesterday and is sitting in the impound lot. Keys were in the car when it was stolen, I don't have duplicate keys. Anyone knows how to get keys without taking the lock out? Thanks!

·
'90 Cressida
200 Posts
doing the good 'ol coathanger trick wouldn't be too easy with a cressida...you might have to call a locksmith, they can open it for you without any trouble.

·
Cressida nut
91 Pickup (Hilux)2wd
4,586 Posts
you can't get them cut for a car this old from the VIN. you might be able to get a locksmith to make a key from a door tumbler (easier to get out than the ignition tumbler). other than that you might be SOL.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for info, i got a duplicate from toyota dealer. Surprisingly they were able to cut one from vin number. My worry is that the theif still have my car keys, is there a way i can get locks changed including ignition?

·
Cressida nut
91 Pickup (Hilux)2wd
4,586 Posts
bastards told me they couldn't!!!

sure you can change the locks but it's a pain to DIY. best bet is to get the TSRM and start playing.

·
RA28 + MX73
RA28, MX73
1,205 Posts
Door locks are easy to change.
Friends have changed ignition locks on other old Toyotas without much drama but I haven't tried it myself.
A car alarm will stop them driving off with the car.

- Stepho

·
Cressida nut
91 Pickup (Hilux)2wd
4,586 Posts
A car alarm will stop them driving off with the car.

- Stepho
unless of course they have a key in which case an alarm means precisely jack.

·
RA28 + MX73
RA28, MX73
1,205 Posts
US alarms must be different to Australian alarms.
For us (Australians) the alarm is quite separate from the key.
The alarm will stop power getting to the coil and ECU, so they get nowhere.
So fitting a new alarm (or reprogramming the code to the old one) will stop a thief with the old key.
Doesn't stop them stealing your belongings though.

- Stepho

·
Cressida nut
91 Pickup (Hilux)2wd
4,586 Posts
Sorry, your post sounded like you were implying the use of a car alarm instead of getting new key cylinders.

US got the immobilizer alarms too. If they have the key, putting it in the ignition silences it, and unlocking the pass. door turns off the immobilizer (the 'safe word' so to speak) after being triggered, then they still drive off with your car. you still have to get new cylinders to keep the car in place.

The alarm has no way of identifying the key, it just knows when the cylinders are turned.

·
RA28 + MX73
RA28, MX73
1,205 Posts
Actually I was suggesting just adding the alarm.
But it sounds like US alarms are very different to Australian alarms.

By law, our alarms do not deactivate just because the key has been turned.
If you have the key but haven't deactivated the alarm by a separate electronic button (usually radio control) then you go nowhere.
Kind of like having 2 keys (one physical, one electronic) and you need both to drive away.
Bit of a pain to use 2 operations to start the car but car theft has dropped dramatically since the laws came in 10 years ago.

- Stepho

·
Cressida nut
91 Pickup (Hilux)2wd
4,586 Posts
ah, so ANY time you want to start the car, you have to do the second 'safety word' operation along with the key... gotcha.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts