Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was communicating with a dealer about 30 miles away about a 2019 Limited Platinum. They were quoting me a good enough price that it sounded better then buying a 2020.
We drove down to take a look and take a test drive. When we got there they said they can’t currently show us a non-hybrid limited platinum because a stop sale has been placed by Toyota. They offered to show us a hybrid limited platinum instead. Has anyone else heard of this?
We are thinking maybe they had already sold the car and were just keeping it on the site to generate leads. Or maybe it is one that the manager drives daily and it wasn’t on the lot when we got there. Just trying to determine if they are an honest dealer at all.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
When we got there they said they can’t currently show us a non-hybrid limited platinum because a stop sale has been placed by Toyota. They offered to show us a hybrid limited platinum instead. Has anyone else heard of this?
Yes, I have heard of it. It's called "let's make up a story about ____, and the customer will probably believe it."

·
Registered
745 Posts
Maybe it is because the fuel pump recall and that vehicles VIN matches those affected, rather then let a customer buy the affected vehicle they put a stop sale on it until a fix is issued? Sound reasonable?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is possible. But I think it is unlikely that only the limited platinums have that fuel pump.
She said they can sell all hybrids and all gas that are not limited platinum.

·
Registered
745 Posts
It is possible. But I think it is unlikely that only the limited platinums have that fuel pump.
She said they can sell all hybrids and all gas that are not limited platinum.
Maybe that happens to be the only one in their stock affected, maybe it is due to the infotainment issues the limited platinum were having at one point, but the fuel pump being a potential safety issue seems a likely candidate.

·
Registered
2014 HL XLE AWD
2,238 Posts
OBI..FWIW...hard to believe u didn't get full, reasonable explanation why the no sale on the 19 Ltd. Plat. HL.? :unsure:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OBI..FWIW...hard to believe u didn't get full, reasonable explanation why the no sale on the 19 Ltd. Plat. HL.? :unsure:
I actually didn’t. She said “it is probably just some small part that needs to be replaced, we will call you in a few days”.
They do list vins online and I did verify that it is part of the fuel pump recall. Maybe they think fuel pump recall sounds scary and don’t want to tell potential customers.
Either way, they should have told me before I drove an hour to see it. FWIW there 0% chance that they just randomly found out when I was in transit.
She also didn’t mention recall, she used the term “stop sell” that is why I used it above.
Seems like it should be an easy fix. There are few other 19 platinums available in the area that appear to not be part of the recall. So just send some of those fuel pumps and get the cars fixed.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
I actually didn’t. She said “it is probably just some small part that needs to be replaced, we will call you in a few days”.
They do list vins online and I did verify that it is part of the fuel pump recall. Maybe they think fuel pump recall sounds scary and don’t want to tell potential customers.
Either way, they should have told me before I drove an hour to see it. FWIW there 0% chance that they just randomly found out when I was in transit.
She also didn’t mention recall, she used the term “stop sell” that is why I used it above.
Seems like it should be an easy fix. There are few other 19 platinums available in the area that appear to not be part of the recall. So just send some of those fuel pumps and get the cars fixed.
I have heard that if an official safety recall is issued, that any auto in dealer inventory affected by a recall (based on VIN) cannot be sold until the recall is taken care of. So maybe that is what they call a "stop sell."

But does the fuel pump in question only apply to Platinum trim level?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have heard that if an official safety recall is issued, that any auto in dealer inventory affected by a recall (based on VIN) cannot be sold until the recall is taken care of. So maybe that is what they call a "stop sell."

But does the fuel pump in question only apply to Platinum trim level?
I doubt that it only applies to the platinum, but since I see other 19 platinums in my area that are not impacted, maybe they have other trains that happen to not be affected.

·
Registered
2014 HL XLE AWD
2,238 Posts
She said “it is probably just some small part that needs to be replaced, we will call you in a few days”. They do list vins online and I did verify that it is part of the fuel pump recall. Maybe they think fuel pump recall sounds scary and don’t want to tell potential customers.
Dealerships should know by now if any of their unsold vehicles r involved in this "safety recall". Guessing your dealer knew. Good news for u is, u didn't get involved. No doubt others involved r certainly concerned. Makes me wonder what happened to cause yoda to issue this safety recall? :unsure:

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Dealerships should know by now if any of their unsold vehicles r involved in this "safety recall". Guessing your dealer knew. Good news for u is, u didn't get involved. No doubt others involved r certainly concerned. Makes me wonder what happened to cause yoda to issue this safety recall? :unsure:
NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) considers a faulty fuel pump, which can cause a vehicle to lose power on the highway, to be a safety issue and they have issued a recall.

·
Registered
2014 HL XLE AWD
2,238 Posts
NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) considers a faulty fuel pump, which can cause a vehicle to lose power on the highway, to be a safety issue and they have issued a recall.
Just curious...who discovered fuel pump problem? Something happened, but what? Speculating..Consumer reporting problems to dealer, accidents on road, mfg. with faulty parts or ? :unsure:

I added this..FWIW...My 2014 was in safety recall back in 2014 for possible faulty fuel rail. Potential for fuel leak could occur & IIRC, was due to mfg error. Fortunately mine wasn't involved. Had it been, it would have stayed at dealer until fixed and no est time how long, but loaner would have been provided. Point is..hopefully this fp issue has remedy soon for those involved.

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
6,943 Posts
Just curious...who discovered fuel pump problem? Something happened, but what? Speculating..Consumer reporting problems to dealer, accidents on road, mfg. with faulty parts or ? :unsure:
Some people probably complained about it or there were some accidents that happen that were reported to Toyota. I don't believe I have seen much threads about Fuel Pumps for newer Camry's here at least.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Just curious...who discovered fuel pump problem? Something happened, but what? Speculating..Consumer reporting problems to dealer, accidents on road, mfg. with faulty parts or ?
Some people probably complained about it or there were some accidents that happen that were reported to Toyota. I don't believe I have seen much threads about Fuel Pumps for newer Camry's here at least.
in the link below is all the information you want to know about the history of the Toyota fuel pump recall. The fuel pump is made by Denso in Japan. Check out the "Chronology of Principal Events" in the document below for the history of what happened.

One interesting thing is that they don't have a solution yet.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts