Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
6,944 Posts
in the link below is all the information you want to know about the history of the Toyota fuel pump recall. The fuel pump is made by Denso in Japan. Check out the "Chronology of Principal Events" in the document below for the history of what happened.

One interesting thing is that they don't have a solution yet.

Quite interesting. I know nor do I not care that this would not apply to older Toyota's but some of that info could explain Gen 5/6 Hard Start Issues that have been occurring lately.

·
Registered
2019 Hughlander Limi
221 Posts
Notice in the NHTSA report the following:

Notice "return to normal operation after restarting it." Nice to know if it happens to you.
Everyone should read the full report referenced in a post above.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Seems to more apparent in hotter climates. Interesting that it only affects certain model years and not all within those model years which tends to indicate that the pump issue may have been fixed for models sold later in 2019 , but then they say they have not developed a fix, wouldn't just puttin in a new pump fix it as the 2020 HL has the same engine and it is not being recalled or is this a case where they are choking at the thought having to put new pumps in 700K vehicles?

·
Registered
2014 HL XLE AWD
2,238 Posts
in the link below is all the information you want to know about the history of the Toyota fuel pump recall. The fuel pump is made by Denso in Japan. Check out the "Chronology of Principal Events" in the document below for the history of what happened.
Was reading few complaints on NHTSA site related to possible fuel delivery issues. Then saw your link on safety recall.. After reading, it answered some Q's I had. Tks. (y)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Interesting link. Crunching the numbers of potentially affected Highlanders in 2018 and 2019 (113932) and dividing by the total number of Highlanders sold in the US for those years (483948) (although the document states maybe not all are in US) gives a 23.5% chance of any given Highlander being affected. It also gives the Highlanders being affected as being produced at Toyota Motor Manufacturing Indiana (TMMI). My 2018 HL XLE was made in Indiana, but (knock on wood) the VIN shows as no recalls listed.

The site Vehicle Specification | Toyota Owners
shows an original dealer order date of Jan. 1, 2018 for my HL, although I didn't purchase it (new) until Sept. 2018. Makes me wonder what it was doing throughout 2018? So it was apparently built in 2017. Maybe the defective pumps weren't used until production later in 2018--and possibly fairly late in 2018, given the relatively low percentage of affected vehicles calculated above. And perhaps they spotted the possibility soon enough so they started using a different pump in early 2019, also contributing to the low percentage.

It would be interesting to hear from folks whose VIN does show the recall, to see what the dealer purchase date was, from the link above.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Interesting link. Crunching the numbers of potentially affected Highlanders in 2018 and 2019 (113932) and dividing by the total number of Highlanders sold in the US for those years (483948) (although the document states maybe not all are in US) gives a 23.5% chance of any given Highlander being affected. It also gives the Highlanders being affected as being produced at Toyota Motor Manufacturing Indiana (TMMI). My 2018 HL XLE was made in Indiana, but (knock on wood) the VIN shows as no recalls listed.

The site Vehicle Specification | Toyota Owners
shows an original dealer order date of Jan. 1, 2018 for my HL, although I didn't purchase it (new) until Sept. 2018. Makes me wonder what it was doing throughout 2018? So it was apparently built in 2017. Maybe the defective pumps weren't used until production later in 2018--and possibly fairly late in 2018, given the relatively low percentage of affected vehicles calculated above. And perhaps they spotted the possibility soon enough so they started using a different pump in early 2019, also contributing to the low percentage.

It would be interesting to hear from folks whose VIN does show the recall, to see what the dealer purchase date was, from the link above.
Just checked my 2019 SE
Order date:10/2018
Plant:Indiana
Recall:Yes

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
The fuel pump is made by Denso in Japan.
I've always found that any company that makes a plethora of completely different parts isn't great at making great parts. Denso makes filters, spark-plugs, fuel pumps O2 sensors...and a slew of others. Denso does a better job then most companies that do this.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Customers want a vehicle of a certain class to cost X, manufacturers have to compete to get their vehicle produced to this price point and still be profitable, while offering as much features as possible, parts suppliers are then squeezed to keep their parts costs as low as possible, traditional manufacturing methods are tweaked to the limìts to achieve this and inevitably quality of components drops. In the past 10 years or so real inflation has not been reflected in vehicle prices and the features customers demand in their vehicles increases, something has to give, but that's just my theory.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts