Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 296 Posts

·
6,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
EDIT: This completed project can be found now here. (To save you from sifting though the many pages)

Due to a recent post in which people were taking issue with the fact that there was no way to permanently disable the Stop/Start feature (Not to be confused with the "Start/Stop" Button)
Apparently each time you restart the vehicle you must press the button again to disable the Stop/Start Feature to disable it again.

So I decided to create this device that will always remember to "Push the button" for you.
So how it's designed is that the 12V power is connected to a power source that's switched IE: Power Port (Cig Lighter)
Then the switch to disable the feature is wired to the device. I was unsure if the switch was normally closed or open when I designed the device so I made it work with both NC/NO.

There is a rotary switch so you can select the time delay between startup and when it pushed it. It has 4 time options (15, 30, 60 Seconds and 3 Mins or 180 seconds)
I can't see why you would need more than 15 or 30 seconds tops, but I had two other options to fill so I made it 60 seconds and 3 mins.

The heart of the device is an ATTiny 85 Microprocessor running on internal 8mhz clock.
I used a resistor network and an analog read to determine the selector position.
It has a 250ma 5V regulator to bring down the voltage from ~12-14+VDC.
Then used a MOSFET to switch the relay as needed with a diode to protect everything from the field collapse when power is removed from the relay coil.
LEDs, Resistors, VReg, and MOSFETs are SMT (Surface Mount Devices)
In this Rev A I did miss a resistor I needed, but was able to solder it to the bottom, if I ever make another revision I will fix it in the design.
Blue LED is for power indication, and Red LED is to show the relay when it's hit with it's 250ms (1/4 second) pulse to simulate the button push.

I designed the PCB in Eagle CAD, and had OSHPark print the PCBoards, I usually use PCBWay but this board was so small the shipping cost would have been prohibitive.
Programmed the Microprocessor with the Arduino IDE with the following code below. Very simple but very effective.
Code:
byte RelayPin = 4; byte Selector = 3; byte Pulse = 250; long WaitTime;
int Sec15 = 500; int Sec30 = 1023; int Sec60 = 0; int Sec180 = 1000;
void setup() {
pinMode (RelayPin, OUTPUT);  pinMode (Selector, INPUT);
delay(500);
if (analogRead(Selector) >= Sec15 && analogRead(Selector) < Sec180){WaitTime = 15000;}
if (analogRead(Selector) == Sec30){WaitTime = 30000;}
if (analogRead(Selector) <= Sec60){WaitTime = 60000;}
if (analogRead(Selector) >= Sec180 && analogRead(Selector) < Sec30){WaitTime = 180000;}
delay (WaitTime); digitalWrite (RelayPin, HIGH); delay(Pulse); digitalWrite (RelayPin, LOW);
  }
void loop() {}
Below is the video I made of the SMD soldering I did on it, as well as a final test.
Going to make a 3D printed case for it next stay tuned for that in the near future.

·
Registered
2014 HL XLE AWD
2,157 Posts
Funman...Curious...How do u know your ss on/off device actually does what u say? Did u find a beta tester? Tnx

·
6,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Funman...Curious...How do u know your ss on/off device actually does what u say? Did u find a beta tester? Tnx
I know based on the mechanics of how switches work, my design should work, but I'd love to send one to someone who wants one, free of charge.
Not looking to sell them en mass or anything, but I enjoy creating stuff like this for fun, so it's more of a hobby, no need for payment.
First person would need to be somewhat mechanically inclined (knows how to use a DMM) to help reverse engineer the switch so we know how to install the device for future people.

·
6,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can I just insert one of those into a ziplock sandwich bag and throw it in my glove box and be rid or the S/S feature, or what?
hahah I'm working on an enclosure for it so it will be all sealed up and would likely be very close to wherever the existing button is or near the power outlet...

·
6,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm interested. Have a very basic DMM knowledge, what exactly are you looking for with the DMM?
We need to pull the switch out of the car and let me see a pic of it and then I can tell you what to hook up and look for :)

·
Short Arc Searchlight Fanatic
2017 Limited
199 Posts
Fun watching the video, thanks! Once the board is installed, I'm not seeing any designed-in provision to disable the boards "Auto Press" feature, allowing for Auto Start/Stop to resume, correct?

Any somewhat simple way to install a micro slide switch on the outside of the case to enable/disable?

·
6,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fun watching the video, thanks! Once the board is installed, I'm not seeing any designed-in provision to disable the boards "Auto Press" feature, allowing for Auto Start/Stop to resume, correct?

Any somewhat simple way to install a micro slide switch on the outside of the case to enable/disable?
I actually thought of that when I was designing it and had an internal debate with myself, however here were the reasons I decided against that...
1) All you have to do is just press your Stop/Start button to enable it again for that trip. It does not affect the existing switch in any way. Just one push and it's turned back on.
2) If you want to disable it for long term just remove a power wire from my unit. Or pull the device out all together.
3) It's most likely going to be installed in an area that's not easily accessible so getting TO that switch on the PCB would be difficult anways.
4) and Lastly, I figured for those that want to switch it off, they can just install their own switch in the dash and have that switch control the power to my device. So if my device gets the power cut then it's disabled.

So that was my thought process for why I didn't include a power switch on the unit.. :)
Good suggestion though!! :)

·
Grumpy Old Man
2019 Ltd & 2019 Tour
132 Posts
I'd be interested in something that made "power mode" the default. That'd get rid of S/S too.
I was thinking more along the line of reprograming the computer like we did on the BMW's.

·
Short Arc Searchlight Fanatic
2017 Limited
199 Posts
I actually thought of that when I was designing it and had an internal debate with myself, however here were the reasons I decided against that...
1) All you have to do is just press your Stop/Start button to enable it again for that trip. It does not affect the existing switch in any way. Just one push and it's turned back on.
2) If you want to disable it for long term just remove a power wire from my unit. Or pull the device out all together.
3) It's most likely going to be installed in an area that's not easily accessible so getting TO that switch on the PCB would be difficult anways.
4) and Lastly, I figured for those that want to switch it off, they can just install their own switch in the dash and have that switch control the power to my device. So if my device gets the power cut then it's disabled.

So that was my thought process for why I didn't include a power switch on the unit.. :)
Good suggestion though!! :)
Just having #1 and #4 options is enough for me. Thanks for pointing these out.

·
6,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'd be interested in something that made "power mode" the default. That'd get rid of S/S too.
I was thinking more along the line of reprograming the computer like we did on the BMW's.
How do you enable "power mode" on a 3rd gen? Sorry I don't own a 3rd gen and have not test driven one either...

·
Grumpy Old Man
2019 Ltd & 2019 Tour
132 Posts
How do you enable "power mode" on a 3rd gen? Sorry I don't own a 3rd gen and have not test driven one either...
It's a selection in the "middle of the instrument cluster" display (sorry about the terminology). It disables S/S and enables better throttle response.

·
6,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah I'd have to get a 3rd gen to study it for a few weeks, and tap into the Data Bus at the MFD with my Bus Pirate.
Then I could begin to design a device to inject a signal into the data bus.
But I wouldn't count on that as if I had to put that much time and effort into it, I would need to charge for it, and I doubt enough people would buy a device to do that to make it worth my efforts.
That could take hundreds of hours...

This other device I made in a few hours and only takes few mins to solder up..
So don't get your hopes up for "Power Mode" unless someone else wants to reverse engineer the data bus, I can whip up hardware quickly if someone else does the hard part hahah...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Just wondering status of this and if you were able to find a beta tester yet? I may be interested in testing so we all can save the pump replacement at 120k!

·
6,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just wondering status of this and if you were able to find a beta tester yet? I may be interested in testing so we all can save the pump replacement at 120k!
I have one working in a Ford F150 and sent out two others for free to HL people but neither of them got back to me, after I sent it :(

I could order another round of parts and build another batch of them if you wanted to test one out?
You'd need to be a bit tech savy though because I don'y have any documentation on how to install them on an HL...
Are you fairly Tech Savy and up for it?

1 - 20 of 296 Posts