Toyota Nation Forum banner

281 - 296 of 296 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
just placed my order for this product! Thanks Funman1 for creating this and doing a thorough job updating this post with useful information on installing the product!
Looks like the fix I need for my 2017 Highlander. Don't know how much wear and tear the battery gets from the Start/Stop function but my battery recently died (only a little over 2 years) and found out that the battery in these Start/Stop vehicles is $400. Hope this device helps extend the battery life. Also these batteries are not even stocked at some dealers due to cost. UnSat!

John

·
Registered
2018 Highlander
49 Posts
Looks like the fix I need for my 2017 Highlander. Don't know how much wear and tear the battery gets from the Start/Stop function but my battery recently died (only a little over 2 years) and found out that the battery in these Start/Stop vehicles is $400. Hope this device helps extend the battery life. Also these batteries are not even stocked at some dealers due to cost. UnSat!

John
It's a special battery? First I've heard of this. For $400 it should last about 10 years.

·
Limited
1,664 Posts
S'not a special battery. Of course a dealership service department may lead some to believe that so they can get deeeeeeeep into those pockets instead of telling you to drive to your favorite auto parts store or wallyfart where you can save $250 on the same battery.

·
6,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #287
Please take the discussion to a different thread.
This is for the building and installing of the device.

·
Registered
2016 & 2019 Highlander LE Plus AWD
12 Posts

John
I just bought a 2019 Highlander LE PLUS AWD and was worried the start/stop was going to drive me nuts and wear out everything prematurely like others seem to be worried about. However, I quickly learn that the start/stop won't activate if I take my climate control off Auto mode and leave it on one of the options that has the front defrost selected. Any time I come to a stop with the front defrost selected my dash post a message the start/stop system is deactivated for the climate control. Perhaps that is new for 2019 but if applicable to 2017-2018 as well, I don't understand the effort to build a device to disable start/stop when moving the climate control to the include the front defrost does the same thing. Just a thought on this topic. I did not have time to read this entire forum for previous info shared on this topic so this point may have already been made....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Good morning everyone
2 week update on my Funman1 Install On my 2019 XLE AWD easy & worry free
every time I use my Highlander I know the start/stop is deactivated and I am safe to drive Best device ever Thanks again Funman1 once again for simplifying my life.
Have a great day .

·
Registered
673 Posts
I just bought a 2019 Highlander LE PLUS AWD and was worried the start/stop was going to drive me nuts and wear out everything prematurely like others seem to be worried about. However, I quickly learn that the start/stop won't activate if I take my climate control off Auto mode and leave it on one of the options that has the front defrost selected. Any time I come to a stop with the front defrost selected my dash post a message the start/stop system is deactivated for the climate control. Perhaps that is new for 2019 but if applicable to 2017-2018 as well, I don't understand the effort to build a device to disable start/stop when moving the climate control to the include the front defrost does the same thing. Just a thought on this topic. I did not have time to read this entire forum for previous info shared on this topic so this point may have already been made....
Why go to that trouble when you can just turn it off as part of the start up routine, which with push button start already negates the need to put the key into the ignition, at one time cars had to be started by choke what a chore lol. Get in; seat belt on, parking brake off check , push start check, turn off stop/start check, makes you feel like a pilot instead of a driver now does it not lol. In fact that maybe the only benefit stop start has for humanity, making drivers more aware of their vehicle instead of treating it like an appliance, drivers now have to do system checks maybe learning what rev counters and temperature gauges are for! Re label that stop start button, "driver awareness switch" check!

·
6,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #294
... leave it on one of the options that has the front defrost selected. Any time I come to a stop with the front defrost selected my dash post a message the start/stop system is deactivated for the climate control. I don't understand the effort to build a device to disable start/stop when moving the climate control to the include the front defrost does the same thing.
That run's your AC compressor, if you want to put that many hours on your AC compressor be my guest, all I can say is enjoy not having AC anymore at 75K miles. LOL
I'd get used to Stop Start and live with it long before I ever tried to resort to that exterme to turn it off!!

·
Registered
103 Posts
That run's your AC compressor,
Not sure that's correct, in manual mode at least. Many previous vehicles I've had force AC on when set to blow on the windshield. Hated that. 2018 XLE, in manual mode, I don't believe the compressor comes on unless I press the AC button and see the AC indication. I've made a number of longish freeway trips (70-90 miles one-way) with folks in the car. I can turn AC button off, with vent indicator still on windshield/feet, and it begins to get stuffy after a while, so I turn it back on again. Temp of air changes slightly also, as it usually does with AC on/off, even with the same temp set via the dial.

That said, the way I keep it set, the start/stop still functions (not sure if that's the case when the AC indicator is on, though). So I've got your device, and planning to install it when I get time--need extra time since I'm going to move some switches around too, and will probably have to grind down some key-ways. Start/stop doesn't come on much for me, since I usually come to a rolling stop (California stop, they call it here), and that seems to negate it. But looking forward to having your device set the default as it should have been!

·
6,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #296
Not sure that's correct, in manual mode at least. Many previous vehicles I've had force AC on when set to blow on the windshield. Hated that. 2018 XLE, in manual mode, I don't believe the compressor comes on unless I press the AC button and see the AC indication.
Every vehicle I've ever owned since the 90's turns on the compressor for a defrost mode. (Toyota Celica ; Highlander; Corolla; Sienna and my Camry, plus my: Dodge Neon, Chevy Astro & Silverado, and Ford F150) all of those vehicles turn on the compressor. The light NEVER comes on in any of them showing the AC is on, but you can hear and feel it cycling in all of those vehicles and it's extremely obvious.
And it seems to be pretty universal where I can't seem to find a single instance where this is not the case. (at least for vehicles made since the 90's+ and newer)

But I digress and hijacked my own thread lol

281 - 296 of 296 Posts