Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

New HL owner here, (2010 sport, tow pkg, auto start, 72km)
I just spent the afternoon checking things out, thanks to this forum I ordered some new alenza's as the truck came with new blizzak's.

Wondering what you guys do with permanent storage items?

- jumper cables
- hitch ball and pin
- rope/straps
- blanket, candle, granola bars, whiskey etc..

Also wondering how the cargo net attaches. I see two grocery bag hooks and two tie down eyes but neither will attach the net.

·
Premium Member
2008 Highlander Base
34,292 Posts
Wondering what you guys do with permanent storage items?

- jumper cables
- hitch ball and pin
- rope/straps
- blanket, candle, granola bars, whiskey etc.
Pictures would likely be overkill, but a general description would be the main storage bin at back holds a TruckAir compressor, large-capacity bicycle pump, bungee cords, rope, Chemlite sticks, jumper cables, and two gas siphons. When I go off-road I add two tow straps, and extra tow hook for the front end, a quart of oil, and two ratchet wrench sets.

The small storage bin on the left side rear has tons of small items in it, like a LED flashlight, "emergency" 12-ounce bottle of water, screwdriver set, Allen wrench set, star wrench set, Leatherman, Gorilla tape, bottle of rubbing alcohol, and even more I can't remember off the top of my head.

The right side bin rear where the jack is located I only have some spare plastic bags for trash and surgical gloves to keep my hands clean if I have to change a tire when well dressed.

The extreme rear shallow bin with the jacking tools contains extra repair items, such as a spool of wire, zip ties, emergency fan belt, rubber bands, extra tire stem valves, valve caps, and other stuff I can't remember.

Last but not least the front row center console bin I have the extra 2nd row seat/center console removed, and let me tell you that thing is deep! You need to have arms the length of an orangutan to get to the far end. Anyway, I keep a wool blanket in there both in case I have a passenger who gets cold, but also to act as a spacer so I can put objects like water bottles, tissue, etc., for second row passengers to reach easily. This vehicle has tons of storage space!

BTW, welcome aboard the forums, Cman! :hi:

·
Registered
606 Posts
Pictures would likely be overkill, but a general description would be the main storage bin at back holds a TruckAir compressor, large-capacity bicycle pump, bungee cords, rope, Chemlite sticks, jumper cables, and two gas siphons. When I go off-road I add two tow straps, and extra tow hook for the front end, a quart of oil, and two ratchet wrench sets.

The small storage bin on the left side rear has tons of small items in it, like a LED flashlight, "emergency" 12-ounce bottle of water, screwdriver set, Allen wrench set, star wrench set, Leatherman, Gorilla tape, bottle of rubbing alcohol, and even more I can't remember off the top of my head.

The right side bin rear where the jack is located I only have some spare plastic bags for trash and surgical gloves to keep my hands clean if I have to change a tire when well dressed.

The extreme rear shallow bin with the jacking tools contains extra repair items, such as a spool of wire, zip ties, emergency fan belt, rubber bands, extra tire stem valves, valve caps, and other stuff I can't remember.

Last but not least the front row center console bin I have the extra 2nd row seat/center console removed, and let me tell you that thing is deep! You need to have arms the length of an orangutan to get to the far end. Anyway, I keep a wool blanket in there both in case I have a passenger who gets cold, but also to act as a spacer so I can put objects like water bottles, tissue, etc., for second row passengers to reach easily. This vehicle has tons of storage space!

BTW, welcome aboard the forums, Cman! :hi:
:rofl2:
Traildust
Carrying all that stuff must take a toll on your fuel mileage. I bet my Freightliner gets better mileage. LOL

·
Premium Member
2008 Highlander Base
34,292 Posts
:rofl2:
Traildust
Carrying all that stuff must take a toll on your fuel mileage. I bet my Freightliner gets better mileage. LOL
Actually, it's all pretty light. Although I haven't weighed all those tools and such together, a rough estimate would be fifteen pounds tops. The 2nd row middle seat/console that I don't lug around in the 1st row storage bin weighs 25 pounds, so I'm at least ten pounds to the good right there. :thumbsup: I definitely get heavier when I go to camp or off-road, but that's a given anyway with all the junk you have to take.

What the hell, I may take some pics and post them up for the fun of it and show what's in each bin.

I took a mileage hit when I went to my all-terrain Geolanders, which dropped my mileage from 19/27 to 18/25. I can live with that, though, for the off-road performance improvement.

·
Toyota Traitor
20’ Tacoma TRD Sport DC, 17’ MDX Elite SH-AWD, 13’ Accord Touring
967 Posts
I just bought an RDX and it really makes me appreciate the storage in the Highlander. I went to put some stuff away today and I was putting my jumper cables in the car, opened up the spare tire cover, barely any room.. This door looking thing that I thought was storage turned out to be for the XM radio, I had to jam the cables beneath the spare.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2008 Highlander Base
34,292 Posts
Okay, I had some time on my hands today, plus I had to measure the cargo area of my Highlander in preparation for hauling hardware, so I got out my camera as well and took photos of what I have in my Highlander's storage bins.

First up is the main center stowage bin with everything I include on a daily basis, which are my TruckAir compressor, bicycle pump, jumper cables, Chemlite sticks, work gloves, 50-ft. rope, two bungee cords, and two siphons (one being a cheapie that I can just give to someone at the side of the road and drive off):

Next up are all the things I add to the center bin when I go camping or off-road, which includes two tow straps, and extra tow bolt (in addition to the one included with the jacking tools), two ratchet sets, a quart of oil, and a silver-sided cardboard for signaling (actually it's a gray on one side, silver on the other card used for photography, but it's got a dual purpose as a signaling device :D):

The left-side stowage bin is small but contains a lot, including an "emergency" bottle of water, Leatherman, two Allen wrench sets, a hex wrench set, a multi-head screwdriver, small Phillips screwdriver, scissors, flashlight, zip ties, string, pepper spray, multiple air inflation adapters, spare lantern mantle, gas can O-rings in the envelope, electrical tape, Gorilla tape, a small bottle of rubbing alcohol, and an extra survival straw:

Finally, this is what's included in the rear stowage bin above the jacking tools, which includes an emergency fan belt, more inflation adapters that I can give to someone if needed, two radiator hose clamps, two spools of wire, Chemlite sticks, rubberbands, zip ties, twist ties, two sets for rubber gloves, two signal triangles, emergency kit, valve cores, and all my tire plug tools and plugs (plus an extra devalver and stem caps):

I didn't include what's in the right-side bin with the jack because it's just different size plastic bags and plastic sheets for multiple purposes. I've got other stuff in the glove compartment, center console, and 2nd row storage bin as well.

·
Premium Member
2008 Highlander Base
34,292 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 Highlander Base
34,292 Posts
I guess it's as much each time I've gained an experience in my life I've added something because of it, as much as I have to be very prepared since at times I've got my Highlander literally 30 miles from the nearest paved road and 60 or 70 miles from the nearest town with real services.

I added the gloves after I had to change a tire once while going to a formal function all dressed up, and, because of the flat and running late, I was not able to get all the tire grime off my hands. :facepalm: It was embarrassing! Then not long after I helped a woman in distress while I was dressed up again, and I thought that rubber gloves would save a lot of clean-up hassle while on the road.

All the other stuff comes from making repairs to my vehicle or helping others out in the boonies. If I ever come across one of you guys out in the sticks, don't worry because I've got everything covered to fix stuff.....except that kitchen sink. :lol:

·
AvConsult
3,675 Posts
TD, you just happened to post an photo to be exploited by one of fertile imagination, having watched too much eccentric British comedy. :facepalm: No dig at all on your preparedness. Admiration toward's that.

·
Premium Member
2008 Highlander Base
34,292 Posts
TD, you just happened to post an photo to be exploited by one of fertile imagination, having watched too much eccentric British comedy. :facepalm: No dig at all on your preparedness. Admiration toward's that.
:lol:

Not a problem, I don't take any offense. It's the least I deserve for all the crap I give Patrick with his Highlander....:D

·
Registered
982 Posts
I have a pair of those orange handled scissors in my kitchen and I use them to open everything!...boxes I get delivered, food packaging, envelopes, you name it. I love those scissors.

Reactions: TrailDust
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.