Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I test drove an 06 Solara last night and noticed the right headlight makes a strange almost upside down Z pattern at the edge of the road on low beam. It was not as noticeable on high beam. It was pretty distracting. The owner (private seller) said that someone backed into the right front of the car. The right headlight assembly is obviously newer than the right due to the amount of haze difference between the two. Is this something that can be adjusted out or is it a more serious problem. I'm new to the Projection Ellipsoid lights so I don't know if this is a fixable situation. If we buy this car it will be our 6th Toyota between my wife and me. Thanks in advance for any info for the "new to the forum" guy.

Sorry, this should be in the Solara section, newbie mistake.

·
=]
nasa space shuttle
3,690 Posts
as for the haze and the difference, you can always buy a newer headlamp to replace the older one. or even both at once so its fresh.

and I think your talking about the cut off pattern ... its normal because i believe the car has projectors?

is that what it looks like up against a wall?

·
=]
nasa space shuttle
3,690 Posts
its hard to see in this picture, but you can see the cut off pattern ON the road in this pic near the front of the car, i think thats what your trying to refer to?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
as for the haze and the difference, you can always buy a newer headlamp to replace the older one. or even both at once so its fresh.

and I think your talking about the cut off pattern ... its normal because i believe the car has projectors?

is that what it looks like up against a wall?
Somewhat, but it's much closer and way to the right. Low beam only bright about 30 ft. out in front of car. Thanks for reply.

·
'11 Camry
2001 Camry
1,370 Posts
It sounds like some of the metal up front was damaged due to the accident. Although the lamp housing was apparently replaced, there may be more damage behind it, which doesn't allow for a proper aim. It sounds like this is a prospective purchase for you. I would probably pass on the car; but at the absolute minimum, bring the car to a body shop before purchase, explain what's going on, and get an opinion from them on whether it's easily fixable. Without seeing the car myself, it's hard to know if the projector inside the lamp housing just isn't aimed correctly (easy fix), or if the lamp housing mount points are all out of whack (harder fix).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It sounds like some of the metal up front was damaged due to the accident. Although the lamp housing was apparently replaced, there may be more damage behind it, which doesn't allow for a proper aim. It sounds like this is a prospective purchase for you. I would probably pass on the car; but at the absolute minimum, bring the car to a body shop before purchase, explain what's going on, and get an opinion from them on whether it's easily fixable. Without seeing the car myself, it's hard to know if the projector inside the lamp housing just isn't aimed correctly (easy fix), or if the lamp housing mount points are all out of whack (harder fix).

Thanks for the info. I had already talked to a bodyshop buddy of mine about looking at it but it doesn't matter now. I was on the way to look at it again in the daylight and the seller called me to tell me he just sold it. Must have found a buyer that didn't check it out as close as I did. Now I'm back to square 1, shopping again:thumbsdow

·
'11 Camry
2001 Camry
1,370 Posts
Thanks for the info. I had already talked to a bodyshop buddy of mine about looking at it but it doesn't matter now. I was on the way to look at it again in the daylight and the seller called me to tell me he just sold it. Must have found a buyer that didn't check it out as close as I did. Now I'm back to square 1, shopping again:thumbsdow
Good for you for being thorough. It's almost clearly just as well the car is sold; I'm positive there was some accident damage behind the scenes that you couldn't see, and there may have been a lot involved in making it right. Too few people REALLY check out a car like that. :thumbsup:

This (questionable) one got away from you, but you're probably the better for it. The right car will find you!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts