Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody, since I bought my tacoma in June, it has been having problems when I move it in reverse, but usually only in the mornings, or when I haven't had it running in a while. It makes kinda like a grinding noise, and squeeky brake noise as well. It runs fine in reverse if it's already warmed up. Does anybody have any idea what is going on with my truck? Thanks!:confused:

·
Registered
435 Posts
Do a search.Its the rear brakes.I find if I pump them a couple of times then backup it dosent do it.The 05 up is known for this noise.

·
Registered
'12 Ram 1500 HEMI
1,138 Posts
there was another thread about this. supposedly everyone said it is the abs brake self test. mine made a sound that is hard to describe, but as one member put it, it sounded like a coil spring coming undone. dont know if it is the same with yours, but i am now at ease with it.

i have an automatic as well.

·
Registered
33 Posts
ok well i know exactly what your talking about, i even brought it to the dealer and they couldnt find anything. soooo i had my father home in the morning and popped the hood and put it in reverse, i thought it was the brakes thing on the passanger side and it wasnt...................funny thing is its the oddest thing...............that airbox on the passager side near the headlight. theres that tube that goes into the side panel, thats where the noise is coming from, just that warm up of the engine makes more movement and vibration causes that plastic to vibrate against the side panel. 100% sure thats what the issue is. all i did was put a piece of paper towel in there to separate the plastic from the frame and bingo it stopped. please reply once you did this and your results!!!!!!!!!!

·
Lazy Bum
136 Posts
On occasion, I hear the sounds of small children crying when I put it in reverse. I still haven't been able to figure it out.

·
Super White Taco
2005 Tacoma
817 Posts
6500 miles on original brakes of 06 SR5 automatic...brakes squeal in reverse. Only when they're cold. Once they're warm, sounds great.

Also had a loud rattle under the hood when starting cold...found it to be the TRD CAI intake box bumping against the engine side of the fender well. Stuck a rubber gromet between the box and well and noise went away.

·
Registered
33 Posts
squealing brakes is one thing but the buzzing grining noise is from the airbox but usually its the moisture in the air at nights rusts the brakes which makes the brake noise, once the rust is worn off it should be fine.

·
Registered
Toyota Taco 05'
695 Posts
I just got my 60k service.....the next morning i was pulling in reverse and i got the same vibrating/grinding noise. I thought it was my tires rubbing, but that wasnt it because it still made the noise when i held the brakes. Keep in mind that this started happening after my service. :confused: Ill check the airbox tommorow. Anybody have anymore insight in this. Cause its really annoying

·
Registered
2006 Tacoma DC
130 Posts
I have a strange noise in reverse as well that I asked about back in June. Here's the thread.

I still don't have an answer, and the only time mine does it is when I've been driving for an hour plus.

·
Prerunnin'
07 Tacoma Dub Cab
493 Posts
Mine does this too when in reverse. It does it even MORE now that it's lifted. It doesn't really concern me as much as I'm just curious as to what it is...

·
Registered
256 Posts
On occasion, I hear the sounds of small children crying when I put it in reverse. I still haven't been able to figure it out.
Did you notice any blood on your tires, or small children jammed onto the undercarriage. :lol:

·
TN User
07 Tacoma Access 4x4
134 Posts
I have a 07 toy taco, auto, access cab, 4x4 and it has squeaky brakes in reverse when it's sat for awhile, usually overnight. It's been squeaking in reverse ever since I bought it.

I called the dealer I bought it from and they said there is a TSB on the brakes, he said they will order the parts and call me when they get in. The parts if I remember right were front pads, rotors and grease.

·
Registered
29 Posts
ok well i know exactly what your talking about, i even brought it to the dealer and they couldnt find anything. soooo i had my father home in the morning and popped the hood and put it in reverse, i thought it was the brakes thing on the passanger side and it wasnt...................funny thing is its the oddest thing...............that airbox on the passager side near the headlight. theres that tube that goes into the side panel, thats where the noise is coming from, just that warm up of the engine makes more movement and vibration causes that plastic to vibrate against the side panel. 100% sure thats what the issue is. all i did was put a piece of paper towel in there to separate the plastic from the frame and bingo it stopped. please reply once you did this and your results!!!!!!!!!!
Correct.... Stupid dealer people i hate them

·
Registered
149 Posts
I had a similar issue, minus the brake squeak, the day I brought my truck home. There's 2 things it might be.
  1. The ABS usually cycles through within the first few feet of driving every time. It sounds like a very slight moan coming from under the hood on the pass. side and only lasts for about a second. It makes the same sound when you hit a bump while braking or go over a speed bump braking. This is perfectly normal and should be ignored.
  2. The second has nothing to do with the brakes and I had the issue taken care of the second day I had the truck. The stock air cleaner housing travels down into the fender on the pass. side. There is no insulation on around the plastic air cleaner piping that runs through the inner fender which causes the plastic to vibrate on the metal fender. The sound is similar to the sound mentioned above but about 20 times louder. My truck only did it in reverse intermittently, usually when the truck was cold or sitting for a bit.
It sounds to me like #2 is your problem as well. It won't hurt to check it out. Try wedging a piece of cardboard between the plastic air cleaner piping and the metal inner fender. Leave it there for a bit and see if the problem reoccurs. It not, pull out the piece of cardboard and take it to the dealer and they'll insulate it for you. Longo Toyota in El Monte CA took care of it for me in about an hour. At the time my truck was 2 days old and I really thought the dealer should take care of it merely on principal. Otherwise I would have dealt with it myself.

Good Luck...Keep us posted.

·
TN User
07 Tacoma Access 4x4
134 Posts
I'll look into the air cleaner piping...thanks, but I'm pretty sure my squeaking is the brakes. When I'm backing up I can pump the brake pedal and every time I pump the brake pedal the brakes squeak, not just a little squeak they squeak very loud.

·
Registered
06 toyota tacoma
62 Posts
reverse noise

i have a 06 tacoma. i'm having the same problem. ever since i got the truck from the dealership its been making those noises in reverse. didn't bother to go to the dealership i already how they are. im going to try that paper towl thing see if it works.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts