Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
FLIP'N THE G-5 WHIP
2005 Black Camry
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here in NYC, 2 days ago, we had the noreaster... cold, snow, ice... woke up and got the car out from the ice, made it to the highway to get work, but as i was driving and as i hit over 60 miles per hour, the car started to shake and tremble... not sure what it was. later that day, after work, went to car wash , after the cleaning, car drove better. what the heck happened? lol.... strange... my only guess is ice was interfering with the air flow of the car at that higher speed?

·
ASE Master Technician
2006 Lexus GS430
2,397 Posts
Probably just ice was frozen to your wheels making them out of balance.

·
=]
nasa space shuttle
3,690 Posts
^thats what i would guess...or the snow build up in the well. i experienced that on wednesday after the storm hit my area

·
Premium Member
'96 Camry XLE
11,246 Posts
As others said, snow/ice ont he rims. SAME thing happened driving from Stamford CT to Hartford on Thursday. Driving an '05 LE I4. VERY VERY bad vibration, espetially over 70mph. Pulled over 20 miles into the drive at a service station, and looked at the rims. there was a chunk of ice stuck on the inside of both front rims. I took the ice scraper,a nd knocked most of it off, but did not have time to get it all off. So there was still some there. Vibration went down by 75% from then on. :)

·
Registered
156 Posts
I'm in NYC too experiencing the same ice storm. Similar thing happened to my Prius. I stopped, got out and kicked off the ice that had accumulated in the wheel wells -- problem solved.

·
2010 Camry SE V6
2005 Avalon Limited
3,181 Posts
All you guys are lucky that ice didn't dislodge from the wheel and fly up and do some serious damage to your car/and or other peoples car. All though it would be funny if it flue off and hit some homeless bum and knocked him on his ass. LMAO

·
It's Soo Hoo like Yoo Hoo
3,220 Posts
Camralon2343 said:
All you guys are lucky that ice didn't dislodge from the wheel and fly up and do some serious damage to your car/and or other peoples car. All though it would be funny if it flue off and hit some homeless bum and knocked him on his ass. LMAO
:ugh3: umm... not really

·
FLIP'N THE G-5 WHIP
2005 Black Camry
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hate the northeast...

this is one reason i dont like living up here.. it is murder on the cars... life expectancy up here in the northeast is at least half of say Cali or florida, but hey, florida is a whole other story, the weather, roads, pot holes, dirt, rocks, cars on the production line slated for our region start crying, like a sure death sentence...lol

·
Registered
156 Posts
Don't joke about that ice flying off and hitting someone. It happened to some 18-year-old guy on an NYC highway just the other day. He was cruising on the Belt Parkway on his way home from school at 4PM and ice crashed through his windshield and broke his nose pretty badly. There should be a law that you have to clean off your car before you drive. I see people in NYC sometimes with all their windows iced over except the part of their windshield where the wipers touch.

·
Registered
191 Posts
ian721 said:
Don't joke about that ice flying off and hitting someone. It happened to some 18-year-old guy on an NYC highway just the other day. He was cruising on the Belt Parkway on his way home from school at 4PM and ice crashed through his windshield and broke his nose pretty badly. There should be a law that you have to clean off your car before you drive. I see people in NYC sometimes with all their windows iced over except the part of their windshield where the wipers touch.
In Toronto, if you drive the tank car ( clear the ice just to see a bit ) the cop can give you the nice bill and - your points. Said that it can endanger to the public. Watch out the ice or big snow on top of the big trailor! Do not follow or drive along side of it, pass it and/or take over it. Anything bad can happen. I think it must be the law for this.

·
Premium Member
2012 Base Tacoma 4x4, 2007 Camry XLE
1,329 Posts
Camry005man said:
In Toronto, if you drive the tank car ( clear the ice just to see a bit ) the cop can give you the nice bill and - your points. Said that it can endanger to the public. Watch out the ice or big snow on top of the big trailor! Do not follow or drive along side of it, pass it and/or take over it. Anything bad can happen. I think it must be the law for this.
I can't stand IDIOTS that don't remove the ice and snow from their cars. Or, it will slide down over their tail lights and you cannot see them braking. It is not all that hard to do. I use a kitchen broom (soft brush) to remove thick snow. I also run the engine for about 15 minutes before driving just to melt and soften the ice & snow.

Good call on the truck trailers. I never follow those guys. HUGE chunks come off all the time.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Same exact thing happend to me.. Luckly, someone mentioned that they were having the same problem and that they called a buddy at a dealer and he got like 20 calls for the same thing. There was so much. I will post a pic later from under my car.

·
toot toot ahhhh beep beep
is300
537 Posts
jeez..im so thankful i live in a warm climate area

1 - 18 of 18 Posts