Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just did a 91 5sfe block with 97 head into my 1997 camry. I added 3 quarts of oil and its reading about an inch above the H level. If I'm not mistaken this engine takes 3.8 quarts of oil. I'm afraid to add another quart. Can someone tell me whats going on? I'm using the same dipstick that came off the 1997 engine. I'm also using the oil pan from the 1997 engine. I also checked the oil on flat street surface with engine not running or anything. This is with engine fresh in the morning.

·
What Toyota?
2008 Saab 9-3
10,477 Posts
1991 5s-fe block? There wasn't a 1991 model year 5s-fe. That would be a 3s-fe. What's going on..?

·
I wrench, therefore I am!
1,621 Posts
You seem to have covered matching two of the three things affecting the reading. Then there's the third.........

Have you compared the dipstick tube lengths?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The 5sfe was from a 91 mr2.

That's the thing I don't have a dipstick from the Mr2 engine so I'm not able to compare. So I guess its the dipstick issue ff anything? So its safe for me to put in another quart right and mark a new position on my dipstick?

·
抵抗しても無駄だ
2002 Solara SLE V6
9,091 Posts
since it's said 5s-fe engine takes 3.8qts of oil with empty OEM filter, just pour that much and get new dipstick (for '91 mr2) from dealer.

15301-74040 oil level gage sub-assembly
Part number 1530174040 was superseded by part number 1530174100.
MSRP $11.80

·
抵抗しても無駄だ
2002 Solara SLE V6
9,091 Posts
i am also wondering since you used '97 camry's oil pan ... and they seem different between '91 mr2 and '97 camry, i wonder how much different...

12101-74050 oil pan '91 mr2 5s-fe
12101-03031 oil pan '97 camry 5s-fe (NAP)
12101-74111 oil pan '97 camry 5s-fe (JAP)

·
1,621 Posts
The 5sfe was from a 91 mr2.

That's the thing I don't have a dipstick from the Mr2 engine so I'm not able to compare. So I guess its the dipstick issue ff anything? So its safe for me to put in another quart right and mark a new position on my dipstick?
Please read carefully. I wrote dipstick tube--what you insert the dipstick into.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i am also wondering since you used '97 camry's oil pan ... and they seem different between '91 mr2 and '97 camry, i wonder how much different...

12101-74050 oil pan '91 mr2 5s-fe
12101-03031 oil pan '97 camry 5s-fe (NAP)
12101-74111 oil pan '97 camry 5s-fe (JAP)

They are definitely different. The mr2 pan has an extra layer of metal that are like ports and etc. The Camry pan is literally just an empty pan. The Camry pan is also slightly larger from what I can see. Its slightly deeper on the end where the rear crank seal or transmission sits. I wasn't sure which pan to use. I first used the MR2 pan since its an MR2 block, but after all the installation it turned out my oil pump was bad. Long story short I changed the oil and decided to go with the Camry oil pan. I figure its deeper and I wasn't sure if the engine sits in a angle in the MR2 like the Camry or does it sit straight up 90 degrees.

TedL - I think you are right about the tube being different lengths. I will take the measurement tonight to see if its different. I just remember having to bench the tube to a different angle so the front engine mount would mount onto the block.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Slightly off subject guys, but the this is the second time I install the oil pan and its not sealing perfectly. I'm getting a leak at the end of the oil pan where the rear crank seal sits. I don't believe its the rear crank seal, because its new, but who knows. I'll know when I remove the cover to see where the oil is leaking from.

I went and bought an oil pan gasket from fel-pro and I'm planning on using it along with Toyota silicon sealant. What do you guys think? Could it be that I didn't use enough sealant the first and second time? The way I install this pan was the same way when I was working on my 2jzgte vvti engine and I had no leaking issues.

I sure hope its not my rear crank seal. It's going to be a B#$% installing another seal.

·
1,621 Posts
TedL - I think you are right about the tube being different lengths. I will take the measurement tonight to see if its different. I just remember having to bench the tube to a different angle so the front engine mount would mount onto the block.
If different lengths, you can re-mark the dipstick by the difference. Or swap the tubes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts