Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every now and then I smell a sulfur/rotten eggs type of odour while driving in my car and no, it's not coming from me!

I thought maybe it's engine oil burning but it's not quite that kind of smell. At least not the smell I associate with that condition. Unless 0w20 engine oil smells different than 5w30.
I've checked my engine oil level a few times and it doesn't appear to be down.

I've smelled this odour after driving at highway speeds for a short period of time on different occasions but strangley enough, I smell it most often when i'm backing up.
I'm moving at a low speed when backing up.
The smell does go away after a little bit of time.

I passed(no pun intended) this smell off at first as part of the new car break in process but now I'm wondering if that's what it is as the car is over 4 months old and has a little over 5000k's on it.

Has anyone had the same experience or have any suggestions as to what might be causing the smell?
I drive an automatic S.

·
uh..no, it's not a hybrid
3,486 Posts
Have you switched gasoline brands and still had the smell follow?

·
Registered
206 Posts
i drive an auto S and i had a very weird smell when i first got my car. it was my antifreeze supposedly. thats what the dealer said...i stuck my head under the hood w the car on idle and smelled around the radiator hoses and it smelled like what i was smelling. i think its the plastic getting hot and smelling for the first few thousand miles...anyway my smell went away after about a month..

·
07 Tundra DC 5.7 4WD TRD
406 Posts
Most all get it from time to time....something about the catalytic converter burning dirty or unspent fuel. At least that's the word on the street. I usually get it when de-accellerating from a fast start

·
Vivir el momento
18,784 Posts
yep, it's the catalytic converter... the same usually happens on mine when i'm driving during a cold day

it's normal don't worry

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
19,659 Posts
Especially when cold, I swear my car stinks more in the winter than summer... summer I usually get more of a gassy smell, like a small fuel leak almost.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I went through this exact same thing. I noticed a similar smell. Especially the eggy aspect of it.

I also saw that you mentioned that the smell comes during cold days. I'm assuming that it was also snowing during that time frame and there was a bunch of Magnesium Chloride (I think this is typically the salt that cities use to melt the ice on the roads). I've also heard that they may use a mixture of Calcuim Chloride with some type of sand involved.

Anyhow, you may have some salt smelling issues...

:) Nasty.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Some cars smell worse than others.

The Honda Civic I had in 1992 smelled like sulfer often when it was new, the last 2 cars I had did not smell at all. I have not detected any strange smells from the Corolla I have now. I suspect that it is the unburned gas in the catalytic converter. As the car ages the platimum pellets get coated with soot and carbon. It will start to work better at burning the unused fuel. I suspect the smell will go away eventualy.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i just saw the original willie wonka last night, so my vote issome oompa loompa's have been cooking breakfast in your tailpipe.
Ahhh, that's what I suspected all along!

It appears that the catalytic converter is the prime suspect for the cause of the smell.

Didn't consider that as I've had three previous vehicles over the years and this is the first time I've noticed this odour problem.

Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
5 Posts
the toyota dealers told me the bad smell is related to the quality of gas, getting shell premium for awhile should fix the odour problem. from what you all have said, this seems to be a problem for corollas in places that snow

·
Registered
18 Posts
actually, I live in Miami, FL. Not much snow here. I seriously doubt its about gas. The smell of humidity actually comes after the A/C is shut off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
sorry, i was referring to the bad egg odour this thread was titled for. i have yet to experience any sort of humidity since its generally dry and anything thats left out gets frozen :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
OP: You have some good guesses here about what it is. It could also be an exhaust leak couldn't it?

Happens more when its cold. Cracks in the exhaust are bigger when its cold.

I would bring it in and have it investigated.....its under warranty anyways.

forresta

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OP: You have some good guesses here about what it is. It could also be an exhaust leak couldn't it?

Happens more when its cold. Cracks in the exhaust are bigger when its cold.

I would bring it in and have it investigated.....its under warranty anyways.

forresta
I plan on letting the service department know about the smell issue when I get the oil change done Saturday.
I'm interested to see what they come up with for an explanation.
I think the catalytic converter guesses as being the cause, will end up being what it is.

Haven't noticed the smell for a couple of weeks now so I think it's probably not due to any leaks in the exhaust. I'll ask them to check anyway.

Thanks for the suggestion.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
14 Participants
Silver09
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing