Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone,

I am having two strange sounds on my car, and I would like to have an opinion (s) of what those are, and how it could be fixed.

Sound nr. 1 - squeaky/whistling sound. Appears when driving, and the heating is on. I noticed that as soon as i turn off the heating, the sound is gone. Turn on the heating again - sound is there again. Doesn't happen permanently. It's purely subjective, but i think it's coming from the left vent, near the glove box. Sounds like this:

Sound nr. 2 - somehow rattling, metal on metal sound, coming from underneath the car. To be noted that in the summer time, i do not have it at all. It only appears in winter. The colder outside, the stronger the sound. Let's say at -20 Celsius, i hear it a lot. If it gets let's say -2 Celsius, i hear it much less. I was thinking it's some sort of metal covering the exhaust pipe...
I hear it only in two circumstances: when accelerating (pressing the accelerator pedal) and when in idle (at a stop light, for instance).

But how come i only hear it in winter ? Because the engine working differently, exhaust vibrates more and..? Or maybe motor mounts ?

Sounds like this:

In idle:

When driving, and pressing the accelerator:

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
8,103 Posts
For the first set of sounds, it sounds similar to mine. I thought it was the blower motor, so I went and got one from the JY. It is still there. Check the cabin filter. Might be debris inside there?

Also, the videos are not playable.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
75aces, thanks for your reply.

What do you mean by "the videos are not playable" ? Meaning that you don't see any videos, only the sound or..? How did you hear the first sound then ?

My intention was to capture the sound, not to shoot an actual video...

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
8,103 Posts
I wasn't able to view the videos. When I hit play, it says the video is unavailable. Double check your YouTube account to verify it was uploaded completely.

Basing my response on your description alone.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Links updated, should work now. Btw, i have changed my cabin filter - still hear that sound when the heating is on. Sound will disappear as soon as i turn off heating. Suggestions please.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
8,103 Posts
Links updated, should work now. Btw, i have changed my cabin filter - still hear that sound when the heating is on. Sound will disappear as soon as i turn off heating. Suggestions please.
Sounds like a blower motor during idle.

Upload another video during idle. Shoot it with hood up. Specifically at the idler pulley and the accessory pulleys. I am clueless on the sounds under load.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
8,103 Posts
Sound 1.

·
TN User
85 Posts
Re: Your First set of sounds......I can't quite make out what it is....

Re: Your Second set of "Sounds" (Idle, Moving, Accelerate).
Im not 100% sure, but I remember hearing about an issue with a Baffle located inside the plastic intake manifold that vibrates loose over time. Kind of makes a similar sound...….again, not 100% sure but if someone else knows about this and can elaborate...…

Check out this Blog:
http://gorup-sinkovec.net/diy/rattling-noise-in-toyota-corolla-intake-manifold-solved/

Regards!

·
7,766 Posts
That engine sounds like diesel....idling...
#2 is metal vibration sound. I'd say, heat shield above the exhaust. Or, exhaust itself. There's also heat sheiled over the exhaust manifold. Sometimes it burns through where the bolt heads are, and starts vibrating.
Also, I'd say to check your mounts. Might be the reason it sounds like diesel...entire power train vibrates.

Whistling when heat is on.. I guess, it's air leak in one of the door weather strips. Hot air inside expands and creates positive pressure plus heat expands seals and metal. Unless it's instant after you turn the blower one, then sure, it's blower related. Wife's RX will whistle at tailgate right after 55mph. She "liked it". Whatever.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ukrkoz, i was also inclined to heat shield. But how come it rattles like this in winter only, and it's perfectly silent in summer ? If it's purely "metal to metal" thing, shouldn't sound the same in all seasons ?

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,666 Posts
Any rattle underneath the cars (at this age anyway) is usually the heat shields falling apart, I've already taken all mine off since they annoyed me for the better part of 2017, lol...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts