Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is David. Our family has 2 Toyota Camry cars. I always try to do my best to maintain the cars myself. This forum has lots of helpful experts. I hope I can learn more things here, and do a better job maintaining and repairing my cars. Below is my first question. Thank you very much for your help.

I am trying to change the spark plug of my 1998 Camry (4 cylinder). But I cannot remove one of the existing spark plug. No spark plug socket can reach bottom of that spark plug to take it out. Finally I bought a 5" deep socket and took that spark plug out. To my great surprise that spark plug has a metal tube like device attached to it. That device is about 1.5" long and it made the spark plug 1" longer. In the photo below, the left side is a normal spark plug, and the right side is the existing spark plug and its attachment. Because the spark plug become longer, normal socket cannot reach the hexagon to loosen or tighten that spark plug. That attachment looks like a carefully designed device to extend the length of a spark plug. The car has been sent to the dealer 2 times during it lifetime. One time for changing water pump and timing belt. Another time is for replacing the EGR (exhaust gas recirculation systems) valve. So this attached device may come from original manufacture. Why this spark plug need this device to extend its length? Do I need to move it to the new spark plug I am going to use?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2008 Highlander Base
35,703 Posts
Hey, David, welcome to Toyota Nation! :hi:

I'll move your thread over to the appropriate Camry forum so the members there can help you out. :thumbsup:

·
Gen 2 Fanatic
'91 Camry DX
2,031 Posts
That would be the end of the spark plug wire that stayed on the plug. You'll need a new set of wires. Hey @TrailDust, still the wrong section.

Reactions: TrailDust

·
イリジウム
13,371 Posts
+1

That was part of the spark plug wire. I'd recommend getting the NGK (excellent blue wires, with low wire resistance) set from rockauto. Goes well with your excellent Iridium plugs.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/1...4-rockauto-discount-code-18.html#post12598434

I'd also recommend a torque wrench to tighten to 13 lb/ft. Harbor Freight has them on sale often for about $10. If you don't have a torque wrench, some members said finger tight and then 1/2-2/3 turn, but NGK says that's for lawn equipment. :D

https://www.ngksparkplugs.com/about-ngk/tech-talk/spark-plug-installation

·
short-throw dipstick
6,244 Posts
LOL this just happened to me as I was removing an engine. Didn't get positive contact on the #4 plug, and eventually (the next day) thought to reach down there with long pliers after inspecting the plug wire and having it crumble in my hands. Got the core out, and the plug came out!

·
Registered
2016 Rav4
5,757 Posts
hand tighten is all i ever do on plugs as they have a crush washer, and i do have a torque wrench. in fact, 2 types. never needed them on plugs but don't remove or tighten them on a hot engine.
tony

·
Registered
Look in sig
9,114 Posts
I've heard this happens if the spark plug wires are way over due and are super hard. Usually by twisting it (as if your unscrewing it) first before pulling might help reduce the changes of this happening.

·
イリジウム
13,371 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
New Spark Plugs and Wires Installed

I have followed you guy's advice, replaced both the spark plugs and spark plug wires. Both the new spark plugs and wires are from NGK. Spark plugs have been torqued to 13 lb/ft. I also used dielectric grease. The old spark plugs and wires have been there for 19 years and 120,000 miles. The strange thing is that no one in this area knows the wire can be broken and left on the spark plug. Auto repair shop and parts store have no tools to get the spark plug out. May be this is a very rare situation.

·
short-throw dipstick
6,244 Posts
I have followed you guy's advice, replaced both the spark plugs and spark plug wires. Both the new spark plugs and wires are from NGK. Spark plugs have been torqued to 13 lb/ft. I also used dielectric grease. The old spark plugs and wires have been there for 19 years and 120,000 miles. The strange thing is that no one in this area knows the wire can be broken and left on the spark plug. Auto repair shop and parts store have no tools to get the spark plug out. May be this is a very rare situation.
Happens to cheap wiresets. The core isn't secured properly I bet. Without actually cutting them apart I bet the NGKs are solidly built, and the silicone sheaths (vs. cheaper rubber) should be fine in another 20 years.

·
Registered
96 camry 2.2
468 Posts
The strange thing is that no one in this area knows the wire can be broken and left on the spark plug. Auto repair shop and parts store have no tools to get the spark plug out. May be this is a very rare situation.
A hemostat or forceps with long jaws is just the ticket for removing the broken wire end. They can be bought from medical supply places.

John

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, David, welcome to Toyota Nation. I am also a new member this forum.
I think, if you visit (familyhandyman.com). This site can help you out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts