Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
I smell McNuggets
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been scratching my head for more than a month now trying to figure out why my car has been making, since december, a violent left and right shaking when i'm going between 55 PMH and 65 MPH and only when the gas is pressed. Here is a list of parts and things that i have recently replaced and are in good standing.

• Brand new Bridgestone Blizzack Snow tires
    • Tires have been properly balanced and on stock 14" rims.
    • Tried swapping tires with old summer tires and vibration is still there.
  • Struts (Front & Back) replaced in August
    • Replaced struts, upper strut mount, and boot.
    • Had full 4 wheel allignment done nad car checks out to speck.
  • Rear Passanger Hub assembly replaced since it was loose
    • I thought this was the root of my problem, and while it did fix most problems, the vibration is still there.
  • New Rear Swaybar Bushings
    • Brand new bushings put in since the other ones were 12 years old.
  • Both Front Axels replaced 1 year ago
    • I snapped the passanger side CV joint, so i had that whole axel replaced exactly 1 year ago and I had the other side replaced since it was going as well.
    • Inspected last week by mechanic and was told it was in good working order.
  • Brand new Front breaks
    • New rotors and pads installed last week
THat's pretty much the list of parts that have been replaced in the car that i think could affect this. Again it's only when i press the gas, and it is present in both 3rd and 4th gear at those speeds. Any ideas are welcome as there may be something to check that i have forgotten.

·
Registered
99 Toyota Camry
472 Posts
I don't know but what I had was that my tie rod was worn out so there was a violent shake coming from the steering wheel, usually if you feel the shake through out the car it could be a warpped tire or rim, if tires are changes but you still feel it throughout the car, try taking it to NTB to see if they can see if the rim it self is warpped, that can usually happen if the rim was put on too tight usually with an air tool, :disappoin I hate it when guys at the shop have too much fun putting things back on always makes it harder for it come off when I am at home, but enough of my ranting, Good luck

·
2,693 Posts
Sounds like a Front wheel bearing. That would have been where I started.

Since it only happens when you press on the gas you can rule out a bent rim.
Since you have the problem with both sets of tires you have you can rule out a bad tire.

·
I smell McNuggets
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
megamac83 said:
I don't know but what I had was that my tie rod was worn out so there was a violent shake coming from the steering wheel, usually if you feel the shake through out the car it could be a warpped tire or rim, if tires are changes but you still feel it throughout the car, try taking it to NTB to see if they can see if the rim it self is warpped, that can usually happen if the rim was put on too tight usually with an air tool, :disappoin I hate it when guys at the shop have too much fun putting things back on always makes it harder for it come off when I am at home, but enough of my ranting, Good luck
See everyone was telling me it was the tires/rims. SO i tried roating them a few times and it was still there, and i even swapped in a different set of rims, and while that effect the vibration a bit, it was still very much present.

·
I smell McNuggets
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HATEnFATE said:
Sounds like a Front wheel bearing. That would have been where I started.

Since it only happens when you press on the gas you can rule out a bent rim.
Since you have the problem with both sets of tires you have you can rule out a bad tire.
Had my mechanic test both front bearings. He said they seemed fine and were nice and tight.

·
I smell McNuggets
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah, whole front end shakes. You can see my headlights bouncing around at night. You cna feel in it the seats. It's stronger when it's under load, such as if i have a full car or going uphill.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I'm no expert by anymeans but my camry's motor mounts went bad and the car shook like crazy... Just thought I'd give you my 2 cents... Hopefully it helps..

·
The Other White Meat
Holden Apollo
3,741 Posts
check rubber parts.... motor mounts, suspension bushings etc. if somethings worn that would mean that you have the size of the bushing as a gap between to parts allowing it to move freely.

·
2,693 Posts
I drove a car from MA to IA with what where said to be good wheel bearings....The Shake test IS NOT a valid test for wheel bearings. I had a a right front wheel bearing going out with all the obvious signs. I decided to just do both since I was there. Turns out the left wheel bearing, which was showing no signs of problems, was in worse shape then the right one.

Don't trust a shake test.

·
I smell McNuggets
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
HATEnFATE said:
I drove a car from MA to IA with what where said to be good wheel bearings....The Shake test IS NOT a valid test for wheel bearings. I had a a right front wheel bearing going out with all the obvious signs. I decided to just do both since I was there. Turns out the left wheel bearing, which was showing no signs of problems, was in worse shape then the right one.

Don't trust a shake test.
I had them check the bushing when they were doing the break job. I'm thinking the motor mounts, I know they are warn, but they have been warn for a while with no problems. Is replacing them something i can do myself?

·
Registered
99 Toyota Camry
472 Posts
yo I am no expert but check the tie rods to see if they are worn, that just might be it esp. if you having the problem around the speed range. Good luck with that man

·
Dealer Tech..not Toyota
540 Posts
...motor, tranny mounts? check tranny fluid.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts