Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I overtightened this bolt on the engine cover (front driver side) and stripped where it threads into (in the photo you can see the stripped metal remnants hanging on to the top half of the bolt). So that part of the valve cover is not tightened down.

Is it ok to leave that bolt off?

I just replaced the valve cover gasket so I’m hoping I can get by leaving it alone. I seem to recall thinking that bolt is a smaller width than the other valve cover bolts so maybe that one is not that important. Thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know tapping is the right solution but does anyone know what would happen if I left it alone?

I’ve never tapped before so that would be another skill set I would have to learn in the midst of many other priority projects I need to address!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Are you speaking about the engine cover 'decorative' piece (plastic black), or the actual valve cover itself?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Are you speaking about the engine cover 'decorative' piece (plastic black), or the actual valve cover itself?
the valve cover, he stripped the bolts, i did the same when replacing my 02 celica valve cover gasket, had to tap it. if u don't it will leak. 02 celica has the same engine.

·
Registered
2006 Matrix XR, 2015 Hyundai Tucson
26 Posts
The following videos show a thread insert repair that might work for you (not sure if they make kits for this specific application). It would probably be simpler to re-tap the stripped hole, as others have suggested.

Video 1
Video 2

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i did the same when replacing my 02 celica valve cover gasket, had to tap it. if u don't it will leak. 02 celica has the same engine.
Did you actually experience significant leakage leaving it unbolted or are you saying that's your prediction?

Is there a way to through bolt it? I'm not familiar with that engine but sometimes that can work.
Based on a quick look, it may be possible, but it probably requires unbolting the copper colored part (in my original photo). What is it and would there be any issue unbolting it so there is room to through-bolt the valve cover?

·
Registered
774 Posts
I broke one on the front of the engine with a bolt sticking up. I never replaced it and still seals. No leaks for mine. As for the fuel rail... yeah, if you remove it you might run into issues but it’s doable if your careful. As a word or warning, don’t do it if you don’t want to risk fixing a fuel leak. Not difficult fix but not easy or safe for a beginner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I broke one on the front of the engine with a bolt sticking up. I never replaced it and still seals. No leaks for mine.
Thank you, Esso, for that real world input. Since I put in a new valve cover gasket and torqued evenly, I'm going to take my chances and leave it alone. I think I'll just keep the engine cover off and take a quick peek every now and then.

As a totally lame 5 minute fix, I was thinking of using one of those stainless steel zip ties though probably couldn't get to the necessary 8 ft lb of torque 😬 Or just slap some black RTV on that section 😬😬 Yeah, sometimes I'm just lazy.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Did you actually experience significant leakage leaving it unbolted or are you saying that's your prediction?

Based on a quick look, it may be possible, but it probably requires unbolting the copper colored part (in my original photo). What is it and would there be any issue unbolting it so there is room to through-bolt the valve cover?
i stripped the thread and tapped it right the way so i didn't know what would happen if i left it as is. in theory it should give u a leak since that part of of the valve cover couldn't not be tight down as the other.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OP here. Been driving the car for about 100 miles without the last valve cover bolt. No leaks so far. Having that one oddball bolt is strange to me but oh well.

As for this...

Is there a way to through bolt it? I'm not familiar with that engine but sometimes that can work.
I removed the fuel rail for a different issue, and found that process pretty easy. Just have to be ready to catch the fuel and be careful setting the fuel injectors back in. But otherwise it is definitely reasonable to through bolt that section of the valve cover. The unbolted part on the right:

·
Registered
2007 Matrix (Nightingale)
48 Posts
Are you planning on leaving it that way? It would be interesting to see if there are any long term effects.

As an educated guess, I would venture that after enough heat cycles with unequal fastener compression the sealing surface will begin to warp at that location. On the other hand, our engines dont operate super hot unless youre racing them, so maybe it wouldnt be enough to make it warp.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I am not sure of the outcome. I’ve had mine like this for atleast 2 years now. I do plan on getting that bolt but I’m unsure if it’s sold. The valve cover gasket doesn’t let the cover sit flush to the head. I think it might warp a little. It’s just unfortunate that bolt lost its elasticity and snapped when I was torquing them down. Just got lucky it wasn’t the threaded portion of the block.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Are you planning on leaving it that way? It would be interesting to see if there are any long term effects.

As an educated guess, I would venture that after enough heat cycles with unequal fastener compression the sealing surface will begin to warp at that location. On the other hand, our engines dont operate super hot unless youre racing them, so maybe it wouldnt be enough to make it warp.
I will likely be too lazy and busy with other stuff to remove the fuel rail again and through bolt. So consider me a guinea pig for this experiment!

If you do not hear from me consider this a successful experiment. If it fails, the oil leaks on my driveway will likely remind me to update this thread.

We are very gentle drivers so hopefully all will be well.

·
Registered
344 Posts
the oil will leak, if u don't have access to a tapping kit, u can always find a nut and bolt with a tiny smaller to bolt them through.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts