Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
mixed bag 'o vehicles
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 1996 4-cylinder with a bad passenger side rear strut. When I was at a salvage yard earlier today, there was a 1999 camry 4-cylinder with what looked to replacement struts in good shape. They look to be the same design as mine, but Monroe uses different part numbers so I assume they have to be different, but can't say for certain. Hate to pass on them if it's only a minor difference like a different bracket. Anyone know?

·
Premium Member
1993 Camry SE,V6-5MT
622 Posts
if I remember correctly, the sway bar attaching bracket is located in a different location on the Gen4 struts

·
Super Moderator
13,296 Posts
^That's true for the front struts, but not the rears. They're the same for 1992-2001 models.

·
Various Toyotas
4,799 Posts
I've heard that even though the strut companies show different part numbers, that you can still use the Gen 4 struts assemblies on the Gen 3. Didn't know it was rear only, as BMR mentioned, so that's good to know.

My advice for buying struts at the junkyard is to not do it. I did it once and after installing, found out it was worn out. Unless you know as a fact that the strut from the junkyard is rather new, then it might be OK. Someone somewhere got a steal of a deal at a junkyard after I replaced all four struts on my son's '95 Camry with new KYB struts. The engine blew a rod right through the block soon after that and it was sold to the junkyard. That was a Eureka! find for someone.

·
Premium Member
1993 Camry SE,V6-5MT
622 Posts
"the rears are the same for 1992-2001 models."

Good to know, thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts