Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 97 v6 camry. It needs new shocks/struts very badly. When you hit a bump it basically bottoms out and then bounces. Also, when i go around a corner, if i hit a bump at the same time it kind of bounces and shuffles sideways. It feels EXTREMELY scary and unsafe like im going to lose control. What i would like to know is what is a direct replacement for the factory equipment at the best price(struts)? Also, is there anything else that may need to be replaced or would what i just described all be cause from the struts being worn? One last question while im here. I need to replace one of my rear wheel bearings. Is that a hard thing to do at home? I have a decent mechanical ability but have never done that before. The car has 265000 miles on it. I unfortunatly had to take my miata off the road and am in the camry for the winter.

One additional question. Are the strut assemblies for the v6 and 4 cylinder models the same? Meaning the spring rates and mounting points? if someone had installed the 4cylinder struts rather then the v6 struts, would that cause a problem because they are to soft?

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I always used KYB GR2 struts on my cars ('88 Camry, '92 Maxima & '00 Camry) and have been very satisfied. They are high quality and I would say they are slightly firmer than stock.

I also replaced the strut mount, bearing, rubber parts like the boots, spring seat, and sway bar bushings.

While KYB makes strut mounts also, I always bought genuine Toyota replacement strut mounts. The KYB struts mounts seemed a bit cheap.

I bought struts from Tirerack.com in the past, but I found an eBay seller that sold them for a slightly better price, so I went that route last time. The struts mounts, bearing, sway bar bushings, spring seats, etc. I bought from an online Toyota Dealer that offered the best price.

As far as I know, it's the springs that are different between a V6 and I4. Not certain about the wheel bearing.

·
MagAuto.com Parts Master
26 Posts
The factory part #'s for the front are 48520-39605(LH) and 48510-80137(RH)

The bearing I would need the VIN to get.

Thanks
Gregg

·
30YRTOYOTAPARTSEXPERINCE
04 Camry; 09 Sienna
1,237 Posts
There are a number of people in here who have used aftermarket struts and packages. I think the majority have gone with the KYBs. The front strut numbers are correct that magautoparts gave: 48510-80137 and 48520-39605. The upper strut mount numbers are 48603-33021(rh) 48609-33121(LH) and the rear wheel bearing number is 42450-33020 (doesn't matter what side). This is of course just for the 97 V6 camry.

I do offer 30% off MSRP and I only charge actual shipping costs plus $1.00 - $2.00 for materials. Should you have any questions, or need any additional information, please don't hesitate to contact me.

·
What Toyota?
2008 Saab 9-3
10,477 Posts
Springs are different... shocks are the same. Yes, it sounds like your issues are just suspension related. You can go with KYB struts, Monroe, or OEM... if you want to keep a semi-stock feel. A lot of members seem to be complaining about the KYB strut mounts recently. I'd recommend OEM Toyota for those.

·
Administrator
14,511 Posts
I need to replace one of my rear wheel bearings. Is that a hard thing to do at home? I have a decent mechanical ability but have never done that before.
They're about as easy as it gets if you replace the whole cartridge, not just the bearings. That's what I'd recommend because the whole cartridge is not a lot more money. Plus you get new lug bolts and a new hub. Here's a DIY thread I wrote a while back for my '92 Camry...

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=235838

·
Registered
552 Posts
I have sensa tracs on mine, they are a quality strut, but they are softer than the stock struts, just so you know, the paint on them is kinda cheap too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts