Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Celica Lift Back GT 2.2L 5 speed MT (ST204) w/Sport Package
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Toyota has different strut (and other pieces) p/ns for the '95 GT liftback with and without the sport package, whereas third party replacements (e.g. KYB) don't distinguish.
Any idea if non-sport package struts will fit the sport package GT?

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
I can't tell you with certainty on your ST204, but on ST184's (5th Gen Celicas), the strut part number difference was due to a slightly different valving (dampening) on one versus the other. Not really noticeable though. KYB should state what Toyota part numbers interchange with their single offering. If your particular strut Toyota P/N is listed on the KYB listing that it is interchangeable with, then the physical strut will work on yours. If you are changing because of one strut leaking, and going from OEM to KYB, I would strongly encourage you to change both struts at the same time (so you have matched dampening characteristics on both sides).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@93celicaconv Thanks for the reply. Good to know about the ST184 sport (GT-S?) vs non. I do have the feeling that the non sport strut (call it generic) will fit on my '95. I guess if I get them from some place I can return, worst is they don't fit and I send them back.
Now to try to find a complete assembly or kit, vs buying parts separate.

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
For reference, I did a check on only one strut to see if there is a concern getting the single KYB replacement. For your 1995 Celica GT Liftback, Toyota P/N 48510-29235 is for the front right strut (with Sport Package) and 48510-29245 is for the front right strut (w/o Sport Package). Both of these Toyota P/N have been superseded to Toyota P/N 48510-80219 (so a Toyota strut is still available to you, if you want it). And because Toyota now sells a single strut to replace both original part numbers, this to me confirms the struts are identical (front right anyway) with the only difference being the dampening level of the internal cartridge. I did not check the rear struts - just wanted to see if my hunch was correct. So I really think you will be fine - for sure for the front struts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, various Toyota dealer parts sites show 48510-80219 is for GT w/ and w/o sport package and both 48510-29235 and 48510-29245 are replaced with 48510-80219. I haven't found the connection (yet) that 48510-29235 is for with Sport Package and 48510-29245 is for w/o Sport Package, but it seems reasonable.

Not sure this logic works for the rears. 48530-29295 looks like the current p/n for w/o while 48530-29315 looks like the current p/n for with. I haven't found a p/n that claims both.

Secondary question. Are all these Toyota p/ns for just the strut / cartridge or do they include the whole assembly (strut, spring, bearing, mount, bellow, insulators, bump, etc). Some pictures I've seen have the arrow callout pointing starting at the top nut down to the strut, kind of implying the whole shooting match. e.g. 1994-1999 Toyota Celica Strut 48510-80219 | Toyota Parts

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
I've attached a couple of images. The 1995 Celica GT - Front Shock Assy shows, in groups 48510 & 48520, which are for the Sport Package, and which are not (those not having a label by the part number. The image 1995 Celica GT - Rear Shock Assy, shows in groups 48530 & 48540, the same kind of information (which are for the Sport Package, and which are not).

Regarding your secondary question, it appears for 1995 model Celica's, the part numbers listed are for the quick strut assembly (not just the strut w/o the spring, boot, top supports, etc.). For the 5th Gen Celica's, all the parts shown within the assembly on these images needed to be ordered separately. I would say it is pretty cool you can get the quick strut fully assembled versions. I see the coil springs for the rears are unique between sports package and without, but the springs for the front are identical between the sports package and without.

Now, I don't have your VIN, so I can't say with certainty the images I'm showing are for your specific vehicle. I just looked up a generic 1995 Celica GT.

Hope this information helps you figure out a path.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again
Yep according to toyodiy, 48510-29235 is for with Sport Package and 48510-29245 is for w/o Sport Package. With 48510-80219 replacing both p/ns it confirms they are the same fit.
Still haven't found a universal replacement p/n for the rear to confirm with and w/o are the same fit. But I'll probably just get the correct toyota p/ns and not worry about 3rd party or if w/o vs with makes a difference.

VIN is JT2ST07N7S0019609. toyodiy claims it is 09/1993 - 07/1995 range which kind of makes sense since I bought it in June '95.

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
For the rear strut assy's:
  • RH:
    • w/o Sport Package: 48530-29285: superseded by 48530-29295
    • w/Sport Package: 48530-29495: superseded by 48530-29315
  • LH
    • w/o Sport Package: 48540-29015: superseded by 48540-29025
    • w/Sport Package: 48540-29175: superseded by 48540-29045
So, for the rears, there remain unique Toyota P/N's separating strut assy's with and without Sport Packages.

Your VIN provides the information in the attached image. Your car was built in 09/1994, has a manual transmission, is a liftback, has the 2.2L 5S-FE engine, and is Super White.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So it was sitting around for 8 to 9 months before I bought it. Wonder why.
I did find out from my Toyota dealer that the Toyota struts are not the complete strut assembly. It was the first thing he said. So if I go the Toyota route, I have to piece together my order.
As for the info from toyodiy, I am surprised it doesn't state sport package. My Toyota dealer knew that from the VIN.
BTW, thanks for your help so far. It is appreciated.

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
Then the diagrams, as shown, are not correct. Usually a group (which is a part number) is part of a bracket surrounding multiple parts, then that single group part number contains all the parts within the bracketed area. On the 5th Gen USDM ST185's, the struts have a group number only pointing to the strut (not in a bracket like the ones shown earlier are). It could be an error in the exploded views. Or it could be an error made by the Toyota dealer parts person you were talking to. Or it could be that originally, back when the exploded views were created in the time of the model year of the car, Toyota packaged replacement struts as assemblies, but the superseded changed to only reflect a new part number as the strut only. I don't know. Things like that can happen over time.I'm thinking the latter applies here.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, not sure why the diagram is / could be wrong.
At another dealer website the title for 4854029045 is
ABSORBER ASSEMBLY, SHOCK, . Suspension Strut.
but they specifically say
Cartridge and Base of the Suspension Strut Assembly. Sport Package.
So maybe it was a complete assembly at one time.
I guess I'll find out when (if) I order them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts