Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having trouble getting the fuel filter off the fuel line. Any tips and/or tricks on getting it off?

i have a 14mm wrench on the fuel line, and a 19mm wrench on the filter. Assuming the fuel filter attaches the same way the oil filter does, i can't seem to get the filter loose. In another post i saw, someone said to use 'flare nut wrenches'.

will the type of wrench actually make a difference?

·
Insanity makes more sense
1990 camry
210 Posts
you need a flare nut wrench, not a regular one or you will never get enough torque to get it started. just get to a tool store and ask about it. they will show you what you need. a flare nut is different, you will see why right away.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
is PB Blaster safe for the fuel system? or should i just wait for the DeepCreep to work it's way in?

·
Bullitprooph
1991 Celica GT-S
1,501 Posts
monito said:
is PB Blaster safe for the fuel system? or should i just wait for the DeepCreep to work it's way in?
If you use a flare-nut wrench, you won't need blaster...it has a slot on the side of the hex so you can slip it around the fuel line, then slide it up around the banjo fitting...as timebuilder said, it gives you a LOT more torque. I bought mine for $5.

·
ASE Master, now Realtor
A 1989 Camry
368 Posts
You can use the PB Blaster on the fuel line. In some instances, it's a good thing, and since I don't know in advance if I need the penetrant or not, I use it every time! ;)

In fact, if the fuel line and the flare nut have become "one," you might want to hold the flare nut and fuel line as a unit using the flare nut wrench, and turn the fuel filter itself! Once the fuel filter is broken loose from the nut, you have a better chance of getting the flare nut to turn separately from the fuel line.

Got all that?

Once apart, I paint up the flare nut and line with anti-seize compound for the new filter installation.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok...just to double check:

looking down on the filter, w/ the wrench underneath the filter... the wrench loosens to the right, and the filter loosens to the left correct?

I'm assuming the fuel filter installs and removes the same direction as the oil filter

·
ASE Master, now Realtor
A 1989 Camry
368 Posts
Yes. From above, the filter is the "nut" to the fuel line "bolt." lefty-loosey, righty-tighty.

Just for the record: I have always approached this job from below.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
timebuilder said:

Just for the record: I have always approached this job from below.
yes...that would make life easier. and it would make gettin PB Blaster on the nut easier too...but i don't have that luxury, and don't want to have to unhook the transmission >.<

1 - 10 of 10 Posts