Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was told I needed axles and bearings on the front. Instead of paying the $1500 quoted I decided to do go ahead and do it myself (have done both operations before, albeit on smaller cars).

But I'm having a hell of a time actually getting the axles out. I'm used to just giving it a couple yanks and it pops right out, but the driver side seems crazy stuck in there. Cranked on it so hard I actually ripped the boot on the inner cup. Anyone know of a good way to get that out 😬?

Then the passenger side, ran into the carrier bearing which was a treat. And based on the damage to the holder this definitely isn't the first time it's been replaced. And while it's definitely seized up good I'm finding people online saying they just took a sawzall to the inner shaft and punched it out that way. Unless someone has an easier idea that seems like where I'm headed? Also looks like the last party in here left it missing a bolt (circled in red). If someone knows what kind of bolt I'm looking for here that'd be great, or if it's okay to run without it?

Anybody got any hot tips on how to get these puppies out without too much fuss?

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
In case anyone else needs an alternative to the cutting. Snipped the rings on the cups and cleaned them out, then ground slots in the cups and threw a slide hammer on it.

Worked for both sides!

Also was able to find an exact replacement for the carrier holder bolts at o'reillys.

Now if only I didn't dead spot one of the new bearings when pressing it in would have been a flawless swap. 🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
29 Posts
Check the 2nd gen Highlander forum for tips on replacing the axles. It is almost the exact same set up. Same engine and transmission.

·
Registered
Lexus IS300
197 Posts
A pry bar is what I use to pop them out. Get between the cv joint and tranny lever it out. And a plastic 2# hammer to bang them back in. Looks like you got it handled and at a cost much less than the stealership. Truevalue and ace hardware have the bolts you will need

·
Super Moderator
2020 Prius Prime Limited
4,844 Posts
I think those were not OEM, as Toyota axels have a notch to get the slide hammer on and help. I have a thread about OEM CV axels and others (like NAPA, Autozone). For my Camry but generally speaking the same basic info.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts