Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 tacoma V6 4X4 auto. It would not come out of park this morning unless I used the override button. Is this common? Is it a safety mechanism that needs to be replaced? Thanks

·
Old Redneck Type
185 Posts
AFAIK the over-ride button has nothing to do with getting it out of park. Its the overdrive button so I must claim confusion. You were pressing the brake pedal....right?

·
Premium Member
6,403 Posts
This is a safety feature. When the brake pedal is pushed an electric solenoid or cable disengages the shift lock on the gear selector control console The system uses the brake light switch, check to see if the brake lights are working if not check this switch. Also check the fuses.

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
stuck in park

Also, check your book that came with your truck, it explians how to use a flat blade screwdriver and remove the plastic plug just below the #1 on the shift base.

Dave

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK so I checked the fuses. The rear lights were out so I replaced that fuse. Lights work now. Shifter still gets stuck in park. Where is this brake light switch? What else could it be?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I ended up checking all the fuses and sure enough one of them was blown. Replaced it and now the shifter works fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
4 Participants
Nicklbrso
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing