Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help please? ....

I just purchased a super clean 89' Toyota 4x4 pickup with manual locking hubs & a 5-speed.
The truck just had a new cluth installed by the previous owner which feels solid.

Didn't realize at the time that the transfer case was locked in 4H when I picked it up. I can't budge the transfer case lever in any other position!

I've heard from another source that this can happen if the clutch is installed incorrectly .... would anyone know if this is ture or am I looking at a possible replacement transfer case?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks to all!
Dana

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
As stated in the owner's manual it is common to have difficulty into switching back into 2wd when that occurrs you stop your vehicle and drive backwards for at least 10 feet then switch back into 2wd.Also when driving forward in 4wd high accelerate quickly and let go of the gas pedal during that sudden deceleration press on the transfer case shifter and you will see how easy it is.

Also are your front and rear tires the same size and worn the same amount? even slight differences in diameter can affect driveline binding,which is common in a part-time 4WD system like Toyota uses in the 4-Runners/pickups and Landcruisers.Are you driving on high traction surface (like pavement) when trying to shift to 2WD? If so, try to shift before you get to pavement and while driving straight forward.

Sidney
Repairs tv's,vcr's,home/car audio out of my home
E-mail:sidneybek(at)yahoo.com
Dartmouth,Nova Scotia
Canada
1985 Toyota 4-Runner,22R-E,W56,RN60LV-MSEK,rusted rear step/towing chrome bumper with 241 000 KM

:kingme: :canada:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Sounds to me like the transfer case stick was put back incorrectly when they did the clutch. I assume from your statements that the stick doesn't move back and forth freely like would normally be the case in 4-hi. It also won't move forward into neutral or 4-lo. That being the case, the t-case is actually in 2-hi but the stick is in the wrong place. To fix:

1. Unbolt the stick from the top of the t-case. It is easier to unbolt the complete assembly.

2. Look down into the t-case. You should see the two shift rods each with its own slot for the shifter. Something like this:

3. Your shifter was undoubtedly in the wrong hole.

4. Easiest way to get it right is to take a large screwdriver or something similar and move the 2WD-4WD shift fork into 4WD (Hi) thus making one large hole. Much easier to get it right when there is only one large hole instead of two small ones.

5. Replace the shifter lever and you're all set. Be aware you're in 4-hi so shift it as normal back to 2-hi when you're done.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Dave! ....

Oustanding diagnosis for a novice like me!
Took it apart & had her back shifting properly in under 30-minutes!

I now have time to sit back & watch football this afternoon!
Come-on-over ... the beers on me!

-Dana

:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts