Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Breakin' necks since '02!
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok maybe i'm just extremely baked right now :weed: ...but isn't the purpose of a cold air intake to be positioned low in the engine bay, close to the ground where it can suck in the rushing air that has not been heated by underhood operating temps? Which bring me to my theory, would/could a car preform better in the colder months since the air would already be cold? Sounds stupid yes...but I do my best thinking high. Leave input thoughts whatever.

·
Mr. A. Wong
634 Posts
i actually think your right, although im not sure about a stock intake. i know for a cai, naturally cold temps should be even better

·
GT-i Crew
632 Posts
Ok, another question then, how close to the road would you want your CAI? i.e.here where I live it's about 29 C average temps and asphalt can get pretty hot thus radiating and making the air on top of it hot too so you will still be sucking hot air.

·
Lives For The Curves
93 Camry
1,546 Posts
I can certainly feel a difference in power during a cold night... it's a nice little surprise after driving during the hot day.

·
Idon't brag I mostlyboast
MTA MetroCard
5,951 Posts
isn't that what the black intake tube in Camrys that goes through the fender and in front of the battery does - brings in cooler air?

wouldn't that make a CAI unnecessary since the airbox is getting the cooler air anyway through that tube?

·
Know God. Work Hard.
4Runner
2,194 Posts
But if its too low, you can hit a puddle and water will go into it. The you will royaly fuck up your engine.

·
grrroarr... ?
314 Posts
B Deuce said:
isn't that what the black intake tube in Camrys that goes through the fender and in front of the battery does - brings in cooler air?

wouldn't that make a CAI unnecessary since the airbox is getting the cooler air anyway through that tube?

good point, i was wondering about that aswell as i inspected the intakesystem,

would it be best to buy a K&N inlay filter, or fabricate a CAI ?

wich of both systems gets the cooler and the most air ?

·
5M-GE
2,901 Posts
if you've got a heatshield blocking off your intake from hot engine air, you should be good to go.

·
Banned
2006 Lincoln Zephyr
1,290 Posts
B Deuce said:

Yes. This is why a lot of people lose hp with their intake setups that are inside the engine bay. The regular intake pulls in colder air from outside but it's design is pretty restrictive. A K & N drop in filter with the stock box or a true CAI setup is the way to go. Those will get your engine the coolest air unless you can come up with a really good heatshield setup.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts