Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this forum and to mechanical work as well, so I apologize for the low level of the questions I've posted. I have another one, though. Where is the fuel filter on my 22R engine? I have been studying the great online Toyota truck manual at http://aarc.epnet.com/application/8578/8578.htm, but it tends to gloss over the most basic stuff, in this case, where the fuel filter is located... Also, there's too much fuel in my carb sight glass, and the manual says to adjust the floats - do you have to take apart the carb to get to them? Is it tough?
I appreciate anyone's help, and hope that in the not-too-distant future I can contribute knowledge to this forum as well.

·
Registered
1985 4Runner SR5
192 Posts
if you are talking about a carbureted truck, the filter should be next to the fuel tank on the passenger side of the truck (also near the pass. rear fender-well). There are two fuel lines running to it (in and out) and it should be attached to the truck with a bracket. You should buy one from a parts store so you will know exactly what you are looking for under the truck.

As for the float level it isn't difficult to change. The top cover (air horn) that encloses the fuel bowl will come off without removing the carb from the truck but there are a few linkages and maybe a line or two that will have to be removed first. I would suggest removing the carburetor and rebuilding the entire unit if it's never been done. Be sure to mark where all of the vacuum lines go. I would also advise that you use a factory service manual from toyota to guide you if you haven't done much work like that. I have rebuilt two of these Aisin carbs (one on an 84 pickup and one on an 83 celica) and it really isn't that bad. You can get the rebuild kits from most parts stores.

good luck

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good idea

Thanks for the advice. I'll see if I can get a real manual and then schedule a time to do the work. The carb probably should be rebuilt, because over the last few years it has been tinkered with a lot by many mechanics, and has been adjusted and readjusted for operation at above 7000 ft., and now back to sea level. It's always been a source of mechanical grief, and I look forward to taking back control over that *&*# thing.
Thanks again for the info.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.