Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
toyo man for life
2004 camry se
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two kicker compvr 15s. I am satisfied by these subs, they put out a lot of volume with decent sq. I currently have them in a single box, two chambers, with each sitting in around 2 cubes (including sub displacement) I have them running in parallel, bridged at 1 ohm.
I am planning on moving the subs to thier own fiberglass enclosures in the (facing the rear of the car) closest trunk corners. I was going to give each the same sized box, but I was thinking, what would happen if I put one in a 5 cube box (the manufacturuers maximum size) and on in a 2 cube box(the minimum). would this give me the best of all worlds, impact and smooth deep bass response? would it sould like arse? anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
159 Posts
I don't have an educated answer for you but my gut feeling is that not only would you get the "best of all worlds", you would also get the "worst of all worlds". Also, since they will be running in parallel, you will be limiting your tuning capability which is something you might need to tame 2 subs acting differently because of the unbalanced set-up.

·
I get angry when Im sober
1,858 Posts
well it will most likely sound like crap since the frequencies will overlap... unless you can send only certain frequencies to each sub, itll probably sound like ass

·
Got SQ?
780 Posts
Put each on in 3.5 cubes

·
Registered
392 Posts
I'm not sure what this set up will sound like but it doesn't go right with me. Go with the average of the 2 enclosures. I think thats what ed did. That will get more of the best of both worlds.

·
toyo man for life
2004 camry se
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I agree. It was just a fleeting thought. Although, it did give me an idea for a really tight sq setup. If you put say one fifteen in the largest box, and the other sub in the smallest box. in stead of bridging two d600's to both, I could just run one to each with some sort of input switch. Thst way you could pick a style of response for each song :lol:
It's a silly thought, might as well put an eighteen and a ten and just run the ten as mid bass.
I think I'll shoot for 3.5 cubes each

·
Got SQ?
780 Posts
or you can just run a 12 ported tuned low and get the best of both worlds.

·
toyo man for life
2004 camry se
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
are there no disadvantages to that? I've always heard that you lose sq when you port a box. I assume that thisis not entirely true as most things have degrees of , for lack of a better word, compromise. WHat would you say are the strengths and weaknesses of a ported enclosure and how much flexibility is there (ie tuneability with box size and port size)?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Ported enclosures lose SQ when you buy them pre-fabbed from the local swap meet or out of some Van in a parking lot. If you have a custom made enclosure tuned for your particular set of subs and for your particular taste in music, you will find the SQ argument less compelling. The advantages, a gain in db's, the disadvantage, bigger enclosure requirements & tricky to set-up without software.

·
toyo man for life
2004 camry se
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would like to play around with winisd then. I'd love to swap my two kicker compvr fifteen for a tighter sq sub, and if I can match the volume too, tha'd be ideal. Are there any twelves that'll be really pleased off one 600d. I feel like it'd need to be somethin I could bridge to at or around 1 ohm so i could maximize the potential of the amp.... I think this is a new thread...see new thread

·
Registered
40 Posts
Every enclosure design is a compromise so there is no way you can really say one is better that another. Try reading The Myth of the Magic Box, it will give you all the pros and cons of each design. You can make your own choice of which is best for you.

Regards,
J.Colasanti
JL Audio, Inc.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts