Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Wanted to know if anyone has installed a sub in the factory location in the SE ? If yes how does it sound.

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
I have thought about moving my sub to this location so that I can have all my trunk space, but I am not sure about the open air design vs a box. It would probably sound a bit better being IN the cabin area but I don't know if it is worth it since I already have one. You just have to make sure you get a 10" SUB that is made for open air use. Plus, you will still have to add an amp and all but I was thinking I could mount that to the underside of the deck, or move to under the seat or something.

·
Registered
102 Posts
It can be done but infinite baffle/free air subs can be tricky. Proper baffle work, treatment and deadening are key to quality sound. They can sound exceptional when done correctly; however, they generally won't handle as much power as when in an enclosure. If you only listen at reasonable levels with brief jamz when that certain song is on it is not an issue. If you want to flex the panels of your car while entertaining the neighborhood or like hours of play at ear killing volume then free air isn't they way to go.
Fee air is how I plan to upgrade my OEM JBL sub eventually. My favorite setup is a sealed 12" sub but I never need the spl, just the sound quality. Having the necessary work done by a shop can be very expensive. Usually more than having a box built. Not all shops even know how to do it properly since it's not requested very often. I have done a few fee air setups and I know that one upgraded 10" will be more than I need.

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
It can be done but infinite baffle/free air subs can be tricky. Proper baffle work, treatment and deadening are key to quality sound. They can sound exceptional when done correctly; however, they generally won't handle as much power as when in an enclosure. If you only listen at reasonable levels with brief jamz when that certain song is on it is not an issue. If you want to flex the panels of your car while entertaining the neighborhood or like hours of play at ear killing volume then free air isn't they way to go.
Fee air is how I plan to upgrade my OEM JBL sub eventually. My favorite setup is a sealed 12" sub but I never need the spl, just the sound quality. Having the necessary work done by a shop can be very expensive. Usually more than having a box built. Not all shops even know how to do it properly since it's not requested very often. I have done a few fee air setups and I know that one upgraded 10" will be more than I need.
I have a sealed 12" now. That is my favorite setup too which is why I am on the fence about changing it. Mostly I am thinking about the trunk space I will gain back however I do have quick connects so I can just move it if needed also. (Of course I still need to put that sub somewhere else in my car if I need the trunk space and when the seats are down there isn't much space left to stash it in the meantime.)

·
Registered
102 Posts
I want the IB setup also for the room and the factory look. It's going to be a while before I do mine but I plan to do a JBL 10". When done correctly, you can get a sound similar to a sealed 12 but with considerably lower output. I'm getting older and still like full range quality sound, but I just don't need the output.
I have an SVS SB2000 in the livingroom and never even take to half of it's output even with loud movies.
I did one of my freeair installs for a friend who kept both. Like you, had a quick connect and would swap to the freeair when he needed the room.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts