Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Black since 1985
97 Camry
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've had a pair of 12" Xplods for a few months awaiting a box and amp, yesterday I saw this

while at Bestbuy... I just wanted the box, did'nt know it included the subs already, I plan on putting in my Xplods one of these days in there but for now the duals will stay

I dont have an amp yet. Can i tap into the rear speaker wires for now or something?

I still have a stock stereo as well... have'nt changed it yet since it came with a tape and CD player.

·
Where's my boomstick?
2,528 Posts
if you try to run your subs off your headunit, chances are you wont be able to tell that they are on.

the head unit only puts out about 15-20watt. those subs will eat at least 50 to get them to move, youll need an amp.

that is, if hooking them up doesnt kill the head unit, youll be putting a lot of resistance on that thing, dont know if it will like that much.

buy an amp.

·
Deer Smasher
1988 Corolla SR5
401 Posts
My head unit puts out 60 watts x 4, just out of curiousity would mine be able to?

·
Where's my boomstick?
2,528 Posts
60watt x 4ch is the maximum power that thing can put out. it does this in peaks, RMS wise, its probably around 15-20.

the only thing you could run off that thing would be a tiny 8" woofer. even then it would be underpowered and you wouldnt have your rear speakers.

·
Got SQ?
780 Posts
you can't...well maybe with those subs you can :lol:

·
Registered
210 Posts
don't get that box unless your subs are best performed in a ported box. plus take in consideration the seal closure on the box, and the amount of space it has from the front to the back. personally i wouldn't get it. just get a box that is recommended for ur subs. not all ported boxes r good for all subs. some subs sound alot better in normal boxes.

and as for plugging the subs into the headunit, u won't be able to hear anything. like steve said, the most rms power u get from headunits is about 15-20 watts. one of my friends from school bought a camaro, and it came with a headunit/speakers/subs...but no amp. he hooked up the subs to the headunit...and u couldnt even hear the subs....so don't do it...just get an amp...theres really no way around it

·
Registered
175 Posts
all your going to hear from the subs is muffled bull crap..... unless you mount some tweeters on that biotch and get a crossover.... but then again they will not be loud at all.

cn: save the trouble, do the wiring, wait for the amp:D

·
Black since 1985
97 Camry
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LMAO, I have'nt checked this thread in awhile but here's an update.

I saved up and got an amp... a Kenwood KAC-7201

Haha, I was all ready to hook my shit up yesterday. Got an 8 gauge amp kit, started to pop off the "bezel" around the radio/HVAC controls, took out the stock radio and started cursing my head off. I forgot that it had no pre-amp outputs...

I guess I'm going ass backwards in building my system eh? And it's a Mutt system as well, Pioneer speakers up front, Dual Subs, and now a Kenwood amp. I think I'll get a sony headunit:lol: :eek: .. joking. I think I'm gonna throw the pioneers in my dads expo, and switch some kenwoods speakers in and switch the dual subs with kenwood eventually too.

·
Bootyologist
2004 Toyota Camry LE
1,531 Posts
I wouldn't put that kind of stress on the head unit...

·
Black since 1985
97 Camry
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No no.. I did'nt hook it up into the stock Headunit... does'nt have pre amp inputs... I got a Jensen headunit for now to hook it all into until I save up and get the Eclipse 7301 or something...

But all the stuff is sitting in my front seats for now... When i was hooking up the headunit.. i figured out I need a harness... (Looking in the haynes manual) It seems that they had headunits with separate amps and headunits with built-in amps... Mine had a separate amp... So now I'm looking for a harness.. >.< All the ones they had @ Advance Auto Parts & Pepboys were for 1987 and up.. but did'nt fit mine.. any ideas where to get a harness?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts