Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 10" subs in the trunk of my Camry...I notice when it is hot outside, or if the trunk is especially hot that day, my amp will cut off for about 4-5 seconds and then come back on...and it gets really annoying - i think the amp is overheating...i know once or twice it actually blew the fuse in the amp (easy to replace, but still annoying). anyone know how i can cool the amp down so this doesnt happen? especially now thats its summer time, i would hate to put it with that for so long

·
Registered
332 Posts
That's a problem. Heat rises... Try mounting it on your back seats or on the floor of your trunk.

·
edud NT laiciffO
161 Posts
Fans are connected wit the some power, ground, rem wires as an amp. But you might consider changing the amp location. The sun hits the top of the trunk where the amp is located. Plus amps are designed to dissipate heat when installed vertically, like behind a seat. The heat is not going anywhere when installed on the roof of the trunk.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
how exactly does the amp dissipate heat when installed vertically, but not horizontally? as it as now, the bottom of the amp is on the roof of the trunk - you have a good point about the trunk being hottest there. The back of my sub-box is near the back seats...if i were to screw the amp onto the back of the box, so it is sitting vertically, would that help? obviously it wouldnt be as hot there, but do you think it would dissipate more heat in that case also?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just read another article in the forum with a guy with a similar problem (except his amp would overheat in about 5 minutes...big difference)...somebody mentioned that if the fuse blows (which mine has a few times) it may be an internal problem in the amp. does this make sense? if thats the case, no problemo, 2-year warranty on that POS...

I should also mention: when the fuse blows, it goes into "Protection" mode

·
Registered
332 Posts
What he meant by verticly was that the system boards and circuits are on the bottom of the amp. They release heat and the top of the amp is designed to disappate it. When you turn the amp upside down and mount it to a hot surface the heat can't escape into open air, instead it heats up the bottom (your top) of the amp where all the circuitry is and it can't escape. It builds up to where it gets too hot and shuts down to protect itself or it blows. Mounting it upside isn't a good idea for the reason that it traps the heat on the boards rather than expelling the heat out the top of the amp. Mounting it upside to a hot surface is an extremely bad idea. If you're having problems with it now you may blow the amp this summer if you don't do something about it.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
makes sense - thx for the explanation...i'm going to put my amp on the behind my subs - i dont think i have enough room to lay it on the floor, and i dont want it above the subs (looks bad and also is high up)...i think i'm going to turn it vertically on the back of the box. thanks for the help guys

·
Registered
332 Posts
Putting it on the box is sometimes a bad idea as well since the bass and flex of the enclosure is no good for the amp. But if you're running a small load you should be fine. Good luck. Another common spot is drilling it to the back of the seats in your trunk.

·
Got SQ?
780 Posts
JaJay721 said:
Putting it on the box is sometimes a bad idea as well since the bass and flex of the enclosure is no good for the amp. But if you're running a small load you should be fine. Good luck. Another common spot is drilling it to the back of the seats in your trunk.
Amps on sub enclosures is a myth, do it if you have to, I dont like to. if you have an enclosure that is flexing, I hope you throw it away and get a better box!!!!

·
Got SQ?
780 Posts
Now this doesnt really sound like a heat problem, most amps that get hot, will go into protect and stay off until the amp cools down, you said it shuts off and comes back on again. It could be that you impedance on your subs is lower than what you amp is rated for, could be gains set to high producing clipping which puts the amp into protect, or your amp is drawing more power than your electrical can give. I had a problem with a 1500 watt sub amp cutting out like that, cause my little 60amp alt couldnt keep up with the 150amps it required :D . Also check your connections, sometimes bass loosens wires after awhile.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.