Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
WALKING AND TRAVELING SUX
Joined
·
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
is sound(not just bas) suppose to come through the subwooferS? or just bass?
mine has sound and bass, the sound is low though.
my subs are hooked up to the headunit, via rca's going to the amp.
the amp i use to power the sub does not have any controls whatsoever. its a nonname, both the sub and amp.
 

·
Registered
Gen 3 Camry
Joined
·
445 Posts
umeshr85 said:
is sound suppose to come through the subwooferS? or just bass?
mine has sound and bass, the sound is low though.
my subs are hooked up to the headunit, via rca's going to the amp.
just bass.

check your head unit manual or post it here for someone to advice as it may have a low pass filter, or check your amp for a "sub woofer" or "frequency" switch and if possible, set it to something like 60 or 80Hz.
 

·
Del The Funky One
Joined
·
763 Posts
For one, bass is sound. "Bass" is simply a lower frequency of sound. You must tell your sub, somehow (like through a filter or "crossover"), which frequencies to play. If you don't, your sub will attempt to play all the frequencies, and could damage the sub. If you have an aftermarkey HU, there may be a sub woofer crossover built in, or the amp you're using to power it may have a high/low pass filter built into it. For finer tuning, you'll want the crossover.
 

·
Registered
Gen 3 Camry
Joined
·
445 Posts
jeremiahfoote said:
sound will also come through, if they are dual voice coil....
huh?

the original poster's question suggests that he's referring to "sound" as higher frequency. meaning frequencies higher than what a standard subwoofer would play. e.g. above 80-100Hz

if you're suggesting that a dual voicecoil subwoofer is meant to play higher frequencies, i really think you're wrong.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
you will hear voices come through the subs on a dual voice coil subwoofer. i have a dual, and my friend actualy uses a set of dual voice 15" in his bedroom as his house speakers.
 

·
Registered
Gen 3 Camry
Joined
·
445 Posts
jeremiahfoote said:
you will hear voices come through the subs on a dual voice coil subwoofer.
yeah, if it's not configured properly, you will. but not because it's a dual voice coil.

jeremiahfoote said:
and my friend actualy uses a set of dual voice 15" in his bedroom as his house speakers.
and i don't even have to listen to them to tell you that if that's all he's using, it's probably close bo being the most horrible home sound system on the planet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
yes, it blows lol, but it does put out treble, i told him not to do it, but yeah.... it doesn't put ou tmuch treble, but i mean, you can still distinguish some voices and words... but rattles the house pretty much.2 much bass for home sound.
 

·
WALKING AND TRAVELING SUX
Joined
·
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i do have an aftermarket head unit
and i can control the bass and treble from it

i dont mind that i can hear sound from the subs, but i dont want the sub to be damaged due to it.
i dont hear the voice from the inside, just the bass.

It features a 4 ohm 2” Parabolic RFL voice coil for 40% more power handling capabilities, a 60 oz. magnet, an oversized rubber surround, and a Poly Zirconium cone for 25% tighter and punchier bass.

any cheap fixes?
 

·
Registered
Gen 3 Camry
Joined
·
445 Posts
jeremiahfoote said:
i dunno... i just have 1 sub right now, i have went through 2 sets of 12"s a set of 15 and now i'm on my 1 15" with a 360 oz mag
probably because you're passing treble through them :rolleyes:

i've had an alpine type-s 12 inch dual voice coil for the last 6 years running at 60Hz and i give it a LOT!!! and it's yet to fail.

umeshr85 said:
i do have an aftermarket head unit
and i can control the bass and treble from it

i dont mind that i can hear sound from the subs, but i dont want the sub to be damaged due to it.
i dont hear the voice from the inside, just the bass.

It features a 4 ohm 2” Parabolic RFL voice coil for 40% more power handling capabilities, a 60 oz. magnet, an oversized rubber surround, and a Poly Zirconium cone for 25% tighter and punchier bass.

any cheap fixes?
yes, you can damage a subwoofer by passing treble through it.

what amplifier are you using? the frequency settings are found either at the head unit or at the amplifier, not on the speaker itself.

"an aftermarket head unit" doesn't really help us help you. be more specific.
 

·
Registered
Gen 3 Camry
Joined
·
445 Posts
umeshr85 said:
you think if i lower the treble on the headunit it will go away, i usually keep the treble all the way up
didnt think about that
i'll see what happens tomorrow if i turn it down
no, that's not what i'm saying at all. if you turn the treble down for the entire system all you'll get is a dull sound.

quick crash course:

on sound properties, click here

after you've read that, bass sound is generally anything below 250Hz. Treble sound is generally anything above 5KHz (that's 5,000Hz) anything in between is generally known as midrange.

subwoofers are designed to run at low frequencies, usually below 120Hz. this maximises the sound quality you get out of the speaker and it has a huge effect on the overall sound system performance.

subwoofers are generally connected to amplifiers. what you're trying to do is filter out any sound with frequencies higher than around 120Hz (i use 60Hz) out of the sound signal BEFORE it reaches your subwoofer.

in order to achieve this, you need to split the signal coming out of your head unit. some head units can do this. mine can. all i do is go to the "low pass filter" setting and set it to 60Hz. what this does, is: it sends a sound signal that contains only frequencies that are 60Hz or lower to the amplifier.

if your head unit doesn't have this, your amplifier may have it. some amplifiers have a "low pass filter" built into them, either via switches or via a knob. see if your amplifer has either of these. and if so, set it to something between 50Hz and 120Hz, experiment a little. so the signal going to the speaker is still being split, but in this case, the amplifier is doing the job, not the head unit.

if you don't have a low pass filter either at the head unit or at the amplifier, you'll need to get a crossover network.
 

·
Del The Funky One
Joined
·
763 Posts
Wow...

Where did everyone else go? You youngn's worry me...:disappoin

I'll post up later.
 

·
Registered
2005 Camry
Joined
·
172 Posts
umeshr85 said:
i do have an aftermarket head unit
and i can control the bass and treble from it

i dont mind that i can hear sound from the subs, but i dont want the sub to be damaged due to it.
i dont hear the voice from the inside, just the bass.

It features a 4 ohm 2” Parabolic RFL voice coil for 40% more power handling capabilities, a 60 oz. magnet, an oversized rubber surround, and a Poly Zirconium cone for 25% tighter and punchier bass.

any cheap fixes?
Crossovers are not "brick walls" so they will still allow some higher/lower frequencies through (the amplitude depends on the crossover point/slope) so even with a low pass filter you will be able to hear some upper frequencies if you put your ear near the sub. Yes subs are designed to play "bass" however contrary to some beliefs you cannot damage a sub playing higher frequencies through it. Also, depending on the parameters a sub will naturally "roll off" higher frequencies at some point anyway and even if you played it full range the worst case scenario is it would just sound like a$$.
BTW, the major benefit to dual voice coil subs is flexibility in wiring.
 

·
That One Guy...
2001 Camry XLE
Joined
·
922 Posts
Delay_FTB said:
Where did everyone else go? You youngn's worry me...:disappoin

I'll post up later.

I know what your saying, thank goodness there are actual car audio forum's...

Seems obvious that they should be more educated in that specifically though :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
293 Posts
Mr Marv said:
Crossovers are not "brick walls" so they will still allow some higher/lower frequencies through (the amplitude depends on the crossover point/slope) so even with a low pass filter you will be able to hear some upper frequencies if you put your ear near the sub. Yes subs are designed to play "bass" however contrary to some beliefs you cannot damage a sub playing higher frequencies through it. Also, depending on the parameters a sub will naturally "roll off" higher frequencies at some point anyway and even if you played it full range the worst case scenario is it would just sound like a$$.
BTW, the major benefit to dual voice coil subs is flexibility in wiring.
Agreed. Had 2 15w6s in my last car. Amps were hooked into the subout on the headunit, settings were right on the headunit, and both amps were tuned correctly, but still you could hear the music lightly with the bass. It happens.
 

·
Registered
Gen 3 Camry
Joined
·
445 Posts
well, it's what happens when you leave everything open to interpretation and provide very little detail.

the original poster never said he was using a crossover or a low pass filter. it is idiotic to say that he'll get a good sound out of such set up and to encourage him to continue using the system that way.

if he does indeed have a low pass filter/crossover, then he should have specified so in the first place and not leave the topic up for speculation.

as i mentioned already, single/dual voice coil has nothing to do with the topic at hand based on the original post.
 
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Top