Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Got SQ?
780 Posts
We need to know what amp you are talking about first, most class ab amps run best at 4 ohm bridged, and class D can go down to 1ohm, so it really depends on the amp you have.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hmm

i was looking at the Alpine MRD-M301.

and the SWR-1221D (2ohm + 2ohm) or SWR-1241D (4ohm + 4ohm) Alpine subs.

but the M301 has

175 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms
350 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms

so i'm assuming i should get the SWR-1221D because the amp has more power at 2 ohms?

·
Registered
332 Posts
No, you need the SWR1241D because your amp has more power at 2 ohms. When you wire up two voice coils you must do so in series or parallel. This changes the overall ohm rating of your speaker. A dual 2ohm speaker can be wired up in either 1 or 4 ohm operation while a dual 4ohm speaker can be wired up in 2 or 8 ohm operation.

·
Got SQ?
780 Posts
Or you can get a single 10 image dynamics IDQ10V.2 D4
or even a 12 IDQ12V.2 D4 and port it, those alpine R are not bad, just thowing other options at you.

·
Registered
332 Posts
No and that's absurd.

Alpine makes decent equipment across the board, but they excel in head units. They make decent speakers, subs and amps but there is better for the money out there. Their Type R sub is a nicely priced speaker for the results.

·
Australian TN'er
272 Posts
MykeLefty said:
since you seem to know alot about systems, i was wondering...

i have an Alpine HU, and i heard that if you're gunna go Alpine, you better go all Alpine. is this true?
Definitely not. It is always better to mix and match brands. One brand might make awesome head units, but it doesnt mean that i makes awesome speakers and vice versa. I too would second the id subs. I got an IDMAX, and have heard the other id subs and they are all good.

·
Got SQ?
780 Posts
JaJay721 said:
No and that's absurd.

Alpine makes decent equipment across the board, but they excel in head units. They make decent speakers, subs and amps but there is better for the money out there. Their Type R sub is a nicely priced speaker for the results.
X2

Alpine carries the F-series, which is top notch stuff, I would love there PXA-H900, but you would definitely need a fat wallet to invest. Mixing and matching is very common, I like to keep my amps matching, but as far as HU, speakers, sub, I get what sounds good to my ears.

·
Got SQ?
780 Posts
MykeLefty said:
okay, so i just looked at those Image Dynamic subs on eBay, and i must say they are beautiful subs, but they are about 3x as much as the Alpines. :eek:
I think your looking at their IDMax line, that is the top of line sub for ID. I only saw on IDQ 10 on ebay and it is currently at 10.00 bucks :) Good luck on your search.

·
Got SQ?
780 Posts
MykeLefty said:
in your opinion, are Power Acoustik amps better than Alpine?
Never ran Power Acoustik amps, so I can not comment on them. I looked and played with Alpine amps, they're nice. Just depend if your going for bang for your buck, or balls out quality amp.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
okay, so i have already purchased one ALPINE SWR-1241D, so i am planning on buying a second soon. can you explain more about how i am to wire these>

JaJay721 said:
No, you need the SWR1241D because your amp has more power at 2 ohms. When you wire up two voice coils you must do so in series or parallel. This changes the overall ohm rating of your speaker. A dual 2ohm speaker can be wired up in either 1 or 4 ohm operation while a dual 4ohm speaker can be wired up in 2 or 8 ohm operation.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
okay, so i was at Best Buy today testing out all the subs and looking at the boxes. and the Pioneer 150W RMS (in a plexiglass box) seemed to hit harder than some others (w/out plexiglass boxes). the best buy guy said that the box compresses the sound and gives a much harder punch. is this true?

if so...... would ya'll reccomend....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50567&item=5706280132

·
Registered
332 Posts
Hey wait, you want to run two of those subs off that amp? That's not going to be possible unless you buy the dual 2ohm speakers.

Here is a diagram of how to wire up your single 12"

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.