Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving uphill, 2007 Tacoma 4 cylinder 53K miles suddenly lost 90% power … felt like it was running on one cylinder, barely made it home at a crawl. All maintenance done regularly, no prior problems. Any help regarding probable cause will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
1995 T100 2WD
3,106 Posts
Did the CEL come on? Not sure about your year Tacoma but most ECM's have a "limp" mode to protect the engine/tranny etc. Sounds like it may have detected and issue and went into Limp.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did the CEL come on? Not sure about your year Tacoma but most ECM's have a "limp" mode to protect the engine/tranny etc. Sounds like it may have detected and issue and went into Limp.
Yes, CEL started flashing ... 2007 Tacoma ... diagnostics came up with four different codes all having to do with O2 sensor circuits and lean mixture ... will try to pull the o2 sensor to inspect. thanks for your help.

·
Registered
19 Posts
jeez.. check for an ejected spark plug..
The torque for these plugs seems strikingly low to me at I believe 13 ftlbs. Despite their having quite a few threads to hang on, I'm still leery of one backing out and allowing blow-by. found blow-by and corrosion on two and three with mine. The o2 sensors are in pretty safe spots but still worth a quick look. With that year and mileage I assume your truck sat a bit?
Seems like a good time to verify air (tightness of collars, cleanliness of filter), fuel (techron, seafoam, lucas, any could clear a little algae), spark. Was any work recently done?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The torque for these plugs seems strikingly low to me at I believe 13 ftlbs. Despite their having quite a few threads to hang on, I'm still leery of one backing out and allowing blow-by. found blow-by and corrosion on two and three with mine. The o2 sensors are in pretty safe spots but still worth a quick look. With that year and mileage I assume your truck sat a bit?
Seems like a good time to verify air (tightness of collars, cleanliness of filter), fuel (techron, seafoam, lucas, any could clear a little algae), spark. Was any work recently done?
Pyts,
Thanks for your suggestions. I will check it out today. The truck is not driven all that much. There hasn't been any work done it since bought it new, other than changing the oil every 4000 miles.
I've inspected and cleaned the air filter, and inspected the wiring to the O2 sensors and nothing looks out of the ordinary. I didn't pull the sensors since I don't have replacements on hand. The odd thing is the car ran normally when i took it back out for a test drive. I don't have confidence in its reliability now though. Who knows when it will happen again?
Interestingly enough, one of the diagnostic codes was P0302 Cylinder 2 misfire, so your suggestion to check the plugs is well taken. I will also add a pint of Techron.
I've cleared the computer codes and will drive it around the neighborhood and see if any codes pop up again.
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Checked the spark plugs, they're looking fine and put back in tight. Added Techron to the tank, and took it for a spin. Coming back uphill, there was some missing going on upon acceleration. Came home and code scanner yielded a P2195 O2 sensor signal stuck lean ... will research what it means and how to remedy.

·
My Other Truck
3,965 Posts
Disclaimer: I know nothing about codes, and my suggestion may be a bit far-fetched but possible.
Collapsed baffle inside the catalytic converter or -- even less likely -- the muffler. If it can't breathe, power drops way off and the engine barely runs. I had it happen years ago on a different type vehicle, but it didn't clear itself either. I guess it could happen and then the collapsed baffle shifts position (or gets blown out) and it'll run OK again. Like I said, long shot at best.

·
Registered
14 Tacoma
204 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts