Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Accelerated
2011 4RUNNER
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I experienced a sudden acceleration on 10-5-10 in my 2007 Toyota 4Runner, 4WD. As I was turning onto a busy street at an intersection with lights, I pushed on the brake at the stop sign as the oncoming traffic approached, but the car continued accelerating into the lane at the intersection, and I pushed as hard as possible on the brake. I pushed the gear lever forward as the oncoming car veered into the next lane to avoid me. Continuing to push on the brake, I shifted into reverse, but the acceleration was still active and my tires squealed in reverse, so I shifted down into neutral and stopped, and the traffic had stopped also. Since the acceleration stopped I was able to drive normally, and there was no collision, thankfully. Toyota inspected the vehicle as usual, finding nothing, and said they adjusted the mat and that was that. I emailed the general manager about my situation and he said he would look at it again. I said I am aware of the intermittent problem with the electrical accelerator and would like to have him buy my 2007 and sell a 2011 4runner with the "smart pedal" technology. He agreed and now I own a new 2011 4Runner. I understand some will have a hard time believing this due to the recall history, but it was not just a mat or driver error, truly scary, and I have no axe to grind.:chug:

·
Registered
Lndcrs, 4run, camry,
2,448 Posts
Accelerated,

I believe that it is a software problem in the onboard computer. When Toyota does their pedal mod. they also do a software up grade. I don't think that the pedal/carpet is the issue at all. It sounds to me as though the cruise control is trying to control the car acceleration when it is not engaged. And it is telling the accelerator hey I'm going too slow I need more power Scotty!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts